Broke Left 4th Toe (Not from BFR)

halfhazzard

Barefooters
Jan 30, 2012
I was out on the lake, switching from water socks to something else, when I was squeaking through a space in the sailing center shack and SMACK... Stubbed the fourth toe to the point where it was crooked.

I tried to put it back into the right place and it decided to go crooked again. So I taped it up next to the middle one, and drove to the hospital. My fears were confirmed, clean break through the fourth toe.

Looks like three to four weeks of healing for me if I take it easy, and then I'll give it 6 weeks total before I try to do stuff with it. Sucks too, my BFR was geting better, or so I thought.

Anyone else experience something like this and return to BFR? BFR is still a great unknown, even though it was the regular way of running up until very recently in human history.

Reactions: Sid
I broke the same toe about two years back jumping over a couch. The broken toe was only part of the damage done to my whole foot (which led to a Mortons' neuroma for a while) so I do't know how long it will affect you. I was out of running for about 6 months. Good luck.

I broke the same one just over a year ago, again BF but not BFR. From comparing with others I think it's the amount of soft tissue damage that's the limiting factor on healing time - as that's what hurts it did also stop me using it before it was healed. On the plus side there was certainly no running before I was ready (though I did get a couple of runs in a few days after doing it when the swelling was keeping it off the ground!) & I did come back to BFR with better form. Short runs & normal activity is fine, though it does go numb on long runs (I don't really notice until I stop) & I find there's a limit to how much I can bear weight with my toes curled under me in pilates, intending to start pushing its limits a little more frequently to sort it out.

Well, I tried it again.

I went out of town for about three weeks. During those three weeks I started walking at least every other day on some "rough" terrain. It hurt at first, but I kept going and I can now walk fine barefoot.

Today, when I got back I did a four minute run, walk for a minute, then another four minutes of running. No real problems. Felt a bit "weird" at the end, so I knew it was time to stop. Hopefully I'm making my way back to running!

Reactions: NickW and DNEchris
Sounds good, just keep listening to your toe & don't push it too hard. For an added bonus I have heard that going back to a walk/run pattern can improve your running - so not all bad being forced into it.
Am pleased to report that I managed a 2 hour run the other day with no numbness, so the healing has continued, with no conscious input from me.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7