biomechanical assessment? gait analysis? more BS?

Here's something I've come across fairly frequently. In an article or video that is basically positive about the BFR idea, they give a disclaimer about needing to be checked out by a coach or doctor or both before you can even try it.

Here's an actual quote:

"If you do intend to take up this style of running, it’s essential that a full biomechanical assessment, along with a gait analysis, is completed before you start. Changing your style of running must be done slowly with a gradual increase in mileage to condition the lower limbs and feet. Otherwise injuries will occur.’"

Well, sure, we all agree about the gradual change part.

But the full biomechanical assessment? I don't even know what that is. It sounds like what they do to the six million dollar man... "we can rebuild him.."

As for gait analysis, it's really hard to know if the person doing the analyzing knows what they are doing. After all, most gait analyses are performed by running store employees on treadmills, and that whole system just led to problems that BFR might be able to address.

Who actually believes this stuff? and who the heck would one go to for the "okay" to try BFR?

Yea, we should just trust our

Yea, we should just trust our running health to the running shoe store clerk who runs the gait analysis machine, especially since I've never seen a treadmill at the many podiatrists', orthopedic doctor's, or other doctors' offices I've visited. Oh, that's right. The doctors ask us to step outside with them while they watch us run, like they would even know what to look for. ;-) The recommendation to be checked by a doctor before ANY type of physical activity is a good recommendation; to be checked for biomechanical efficiency is utter nonsense.

Even if they get on the

Even if they get on the treadmill and get two thumbs up for "perfect" form, the outside world is anything but flat and smooth. In seconds they'll have to contend with avoiding debris while running on uneven ground the whole way, unless they stick to running tracks. **sound of steve austin running barefoot = nananananananananana** :p

Another good point.

Another good point.

Another problem is running on

Another problem is running on a treadmill is nothing like running on the road. Big difference between running across the ground, and having the ground run under you. Shod, or BF, my form is different on a treadmill.

Your actual quote sounds like

Your actual quote sounds like it's from one of the (many) artcles that claim that BFR is only for people with efficient, neutral body mechanics. Yeah, try telling that to Michael Sandler (of RUNBARE),or any of the rest of us who have leg length discrepencies, over-pronate in shoes, etc.

Even if it weren't premised on that fallacy, what would be the point of a gait analysis when starting an entirely different style of running? It would be like checking my canoe-paddling form before I take up kayacking...

In general to me it sounds

In general to me it sounds like the "professionals" in the field are trying to hang on to their expert status, even after they've been debunked.

"You still need me," they plead like a jilted lover.

Of course the thing that makes this complicated is that sometimes one really does need an outside expert to aid with their health. White-coat medicine is pretty good at finding and fixing certain types of problems. And I'm sure running coaches are good at making training plans to help you go faster. But to have to ask permission to go run in your bare feet is like...

(i'm trying to come up with an analogy here)

... asking for permission to breathe?

... volunteering to wear a chastity belt?

Anyway, it'd be interesting to see what sage advice these analyses produced.

2011 will be interesting, to

2011 will be interesting, to say the least.

I bet they would like to analyze our gait while we run in shoes too. Here, run in these shoes, so I can see if you can run barefoot "safely." They do the opposite at the running shoe stores. Here, take your shoes off, so we can see how you stand, then we'll "prescribe" you some shoes.

THAT SHOULD BE THE DISCLAIMER

THAT SHOULD BE THE DISCLAIMER FOR WEARING SHOES!!!!! You know how some people try to say that barefooting only works for certain people? Well maybe those people should look around at all the people who can succesfuly run in shoes. Succesful Ultra-runners, and Olympic track athletes make up a very small percentage of the population, and they all have a similar body type. Also, most of those athletes have near perfect form to start with, which is why they can run in shoes. You should have to be tested for perfect bio-mechanics before you're allowed to try running in shoes.

Now if you look at our population here with the BRS, you will find people of all different body types, and all different fitness levels and ages. Sure we're a pretty small group for now, but that isn't because there's anyone who can't run barefoot, its just because most people are too afraid to try. I think its safe to assume that almost all of the people who aren't runners are people who are not able to comfortably run in shoes. Sure, some of those people can also not run barefoot, due to age, previous injuries, or deformed limbs. But when you compare the non-running population to the number of people who can comfortably and succesfully run in shoes, it makes you question just who decided that everyone needs to, or even can, run in shoes. Shoes prevent you from being able to really improve biomechanics and gait, so really, you aren't going to be able to run in shoes unless you're already almost perfect. Whereas with barefooting, you actually learn how to move correctly.

The only real analysis you could do to see if someone can barefoot run is to look at their gait and say "Yep, your form sucks. No more shoes for you until its perfect."

A lot of people buy into the

A lot of people buy into the idea that you have to have all the diagnosis before buying a pair of shoes (I should know, I was one of them /build2/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Roving/shy.png). I thought having a gait analysis and such was really helpful in determining which type of shoe to buy and such. I, of course, had a gross overpronation that was very clear on the video they showed me, but when I practice in front of a mirror BF does not seem to be there... curious. Anyway, not sure where the quote came from, but it would not surprise me if the intended audience was that "traditional" runner base. Definitely a way to keep 'em coming into the store, and then of course the power of persuasion can probably get a lot of people back into shoes, or after the analysis, what is recommended is NOT BFR, but these brand new stability, air-chambered silver rockets will help you run better, faster, and farther.

The one thing I know about ALL big companies is that they are brilliant at using marketing to capitalize on whatever is the next "big thing." I think BFR may be that thing... Capitalism is really Darwinian, and the biggest always find a way to adapt, survive, and thrive...

Danjo

Danjo said:
THAT SHOULD BE THE DISCLAIMER FOR WEARING SHOES!!!!! ... The only real analysis you could do to see if someone can barefoot run is to look at their gait and say "Yep, your form sucks. No more shoes for you until its perfect."

Danjo, as usual you have nailed it. Going BF pretty directly improves your form, with practice; whereas with shoes it's a conscious challenge.

The other day I was feeling proud of myself, because I did a 4.4 mile run in minimal shoes without discomfort. It was a real accomplishment for me, because while going BF always felt good, I had never before had a truly pleasant run with shoes on... it was just too hard to keep my feet light. But there was nasty slush all over so I put on the shoes, and found that I finally knew enough about running to make it work.

Two years ago when I started

Two years ago when I started running I went to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes etc.

The man seemed very knowledgable and had been running the store for eons.

He did all the analyzing stuff ; watched me run, stand still , take a corner and so on.

I ended up with the super jive running shoes he recommended!

About 8 months later I was at Physical Therapy trying to get my knees back in shape.

I started reading running forums and came across VFFs, bought some and haven't looked back.

Now I am working on fitting in BF miles as often as I can. I love my VFFs but even when I take them off, BF lets me legs feels so much younger than their 61 years!

So, I think my own body has given me the answer.
grade.png

May each of you be blessed with health and wisdom.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon