BF & Min Running OK But Only IF You are in Prime Cardio Shape

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Not sure, just guessing, but probably the ERs have been flooded these past few years with heart attack victims that had been attempting barefoot and minimalist running. How else would he have come to this conclusion?
One more thing to be concerned about before even THINKING about transitioning.
I'm certain that he'd have no qualms advising an un-fit individual to take up boat anchor running.

Start slow
Uhlir advises anyone who wants to try barefoot or minimal running “to make the transition slowly to prevent injury,” he said. “You could do more damage than good.”
One’s overall fitness is a factor too, he said. “I’d never tell someone who doesn’t have good cardiovascular health to get into minimal running.”
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/272196/

Then he says
“There’s a fine line. Someone who’s training hard (for marathons) is not going to be able to (run barefoot or with minimal shoes) 40 to 50 miles a week. The leg isn’t made to take that much of a beating.”

I think he's just talking out his a**. The article doesn't say what his credentials are; just a guy running "in barefoot" min-shoes, taking his shoes off in the middle of a run on the grass.

The article doesn't say what his credentials are; just a guy running "in barefoot" min-shoes, taking his shoes off in the middle of a run on the grass.
Yes, so I'll cut him some slack and blame the author of the article instead. I can't fault the guy for giving an interview, he probably knows he's no expert on the subject.
It's the writer who's guilty of spreading nonsense to her readers by engaging in irresponsible journalism.

I have recently heard of a couple of my friends being interviewed and then seeing just how what they said was presented. It is amazing how the interviewer can take something and make it mean 180 from what the speaker intended in context. When I interview people for my blog, I always send the article to them to see if I understood them correctly. Even with good intentions, it can be hard to translate everything correctly.

Reactions: DNEchris
In last April's Wall Street Journal article the author and one more person called me for fact checking shortly before publication. Too bad they only asked me about facts about my stuff and not about what another "expert" had said!