Beginners cadence questions

It seems to me that you may just be choosing to control different factors in the same equation. Bare lee is saying that it will all work out if you get posture right, Chris is saying it will all work out if you get cadence right. Both of those could be true, in that each may be a different way in to achieving the same overall effect. Bare Lee, I don't see why working on posture is any less artificial than working on cadence. And if cadence can lead to good posture, it has the advantage that cadence is a whole lot easier to describe and change.
Actually, my point was a little different. I'm saying that, for certain people at least, if you take off your shoes and allow your soles to give your CNS proper feedback, stride length will optimize by itself. It seems to me the 180 rule is most helpful for shod runners, who lack good proprioception from their feet, or, as others have pointed out, for barefoot runners who haven't run or played sports much before, although I remain skeptical about this second point.

I don't know if posture per se affects cadence, it's an interesting question. Good posture will take care of a lot of form issues though, which will help prevent injury, which is the second argument for an artificially high cadence. But good posture is important in every activity, including sitting, so it's not really something you want to ignore, no matter what your stance on the whole cadence issue is. And I don't think good posture is artificial. It's something we unlearn as we grow up spending so much of our time sitting and slouching, just as we unlearn good running form when we become inactive or put on inappropriate footwear. But as many folks have pointed out, young children tend to run with short strides and forefoot landing naturally, and they also stand up straight!

But, as Chris said, genug!

And I don't think good posture is artificial. It's something we unlearn as we grow up spending so much of our time sitting and slouching, just as we unlearn good running form when we become inactive or put on inappropriate footwear. But as many folks have pointed out, young children tend to run with short strides and forefoot landing naturally, and they also stand up straight!

But, as Chris said, genug!
Amen to that!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon