Are you a "proactive" barefoot runner?

FreeYourToes

Barefooters
Nov 23, 2010
We have all had our share of people stopping us or initiating a conversation with us while we are running barefoot. Has anyone thrown a curve ball and before they could say anything to you say something like "have you seen my shoes" and "no, I didnt forget my shoes" or "I dont know how you can run in those shoes".

I think it could be pretty fun experiement to be the conversation starter and watch their reactions

When I hear someone come

When I hear someone come clomping up behind me, I sometimes will say, "Geez. I could hear you coming a mile away." But I guess that's probably not very nice. I do give them a nice smile though, if that helps. I'm just trying to plant an "idea" in their heads, that may come to fruition later. Yaneverknow.

While I wouldn't go out of my

While I wouldn't go out of my way to say anything to the shod folk I pass on the trails... I do try extra hard to make sure I look like I am having the time of my life - Even when I'm not (e.g. when tired, on gravel, etc). :D

In these moments I smile and put an extra little lift in my step. It's my way of planting a seed... and heading off any criticisms.

I don't see this as being fake... because I really do enjoy what I'm doing... sometimes even more when it's hard. I am just "Owning it"... in a way that makes it very difficult for would be critics to question.

S. Pimp.

I am definitley going to pull

I am definitley going to pull the how do you run in those things comment this week. I'll report back to let you know how it goes.

I smile in a friendly way and

I smile in a friendly way and wait to see what happens!

I am proactive when I approach people from behind. Walkers and horse riders are frequent on the trails here. I run so quietly that I have to 'announce' my approach or they almost jump out of their skins as I pad past!

On Saturday after the race I

On Saturday after the race I was standing in yet another line and someone behind me points to my feet and says, "thats what I need to do take em off after the race next time" I said, "ya but I took mine off before the race"

richards wrote:On Saturday

richards said:
On Saturday after the race I was standing in yet another line and someone behind me points to my feet and says, "thats what I need to do take em off after the race next time" I said, "ya but I took mine off before the race"

Last year I did 14 races, and all but two used the D-chip which had to be strapped to your ankle if you were barefoot.

There was never any question before or after whether one was running barefoot or not, and of course I left it on during the entire after party activities.

This year Bib chips dominate and take away a little from the fun since probably MOST observers after the race assume you merely de-shoed and think nothing of it.

Another reason I dislike the B-chip is it can't be folded, and since I usually run shirtless I pin the bib to my shorts.

Dispite what I wrote in the Barefoot Pub section this evening my legs are very short, and there is'nt much room on my shorts for the unfolded bib.

I hope Bib chips end up having a high failure rate and we see a return to the D-tag!

ha! d-tag sounds like... i

ha! d-tag sounds like... i won't finish that.

i always make comments to people and i try to be funny. made one today to a guy shaking the pea gravel out of his sandals. i don't remember exactly what but it was something about the gravel being sharp and they laughed. i of course was bf with Joshh and his daughter.

earlier in the run i saw an older couple and the guy had two walking sticks in his hand. from far away i at first thought they were golf clubs and told him so. they laughed. when we got a little further i heard him say the better question is why are you all bf? so i yelled out because it's fun. they laughed again. i know they didn't expect me to hear them or the reply.

Mike

About once a week, I get the

About once a week, I get the joke: "Hey, d'ya forget your shoes?" So, I have now started to reply with, "how often do you think I've heard that joke?"

If the joker is with someone else, this results in the joker's buddy laughing his head off at how stupid the joke was. That solves the problem. (Yes, it is always men in the company of other men who make this joke.)

If the joker is alone, I try to modulate my tone to avoid sounding nasty. I then usually get a thoughtful, "hmmm... yeah, I can see that." That usually sparks an honest question, to which I give an honest answer.

Cheers,

Paleo

When I hear that dumb

When I hear that dumb question, Paleo, I always say, "Yes, thank God, a long time ago!" I usually get lots of laughs at that one.

I've never actually thought

I've never actually thought about being the one to initiate the conversation. But then again, I run during the pitch black of night...I usually scare the bejeebis out of people because they can't hear me coming...So, I guess in and of itself that is a conversation starter....That is after they calm down and catch their breath. I did have one lady scream out loud because I yelled that I was passing on the left...She then admitted that she thought she had peed herself...I almost died laughing.

Conversation starter indeed.

Aaron

You know I don't get very

You know I don't get very many comments any more. Granted this may have something to do with often running at three in the morning but there are just so many of us around. I think there are at least three or four in my area and thats not counting the enormous mass of VFFers out there who are at least aware of the concept. I wouldn't be able to be proactive since the most I really get is a look of "hey people really do do that". I think this shows tremendous progress on the whole bf movement in general.

I do agree about looking super happy though. I've had rough runs where I was exhausted and actually put on my shoes just so if people saw me looking miserable they wouldn't blame the barefeet.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7