An Intro from South East Alaska

Hello all!

I am a 47 year old man working to get into shape and have fun along the way. It rains here most of the time but we had many non-rainy days this summer so I started walking to work on nice days and lately switched to Converse style flat shoes for the walk. My wife doesn’t run but she got me into running by introducing me to an iPhone app of all things. After a few sessions of jogging and walking I was hooked. I also like to SCUBA dive, read and make things.

I never would have thought that I would become a runner but have found that I really like it. We have LOTS of really nice trails here in SE Alaska and I intend to enjoy them all. I started the walk/jog a couple of months ago and after doing lots of reading have decided to go barefoot. I have to confess that I have mostly exercised on the treadmill so far. Not having run since high school thirty years ago I have been afraid of doing too much too soon. I am on my feet all day and normally wear Pro Birkis as they are slip resistant in the kitchen they are also flat and give your feet a decent work out as your toes grip a toe bar like all Birkenstock shoes. Oh, and speaking of shoes I bought Asics 1170 to train in prior to deciding to go barefoot. Not sure what the drop is but it is NOT minimalist in the least.

Also, I signed up for a 5k that is on October 6th. So, although I know that trying to run shod AND train barefoot is counterproductive I probably will need to until the 5k. I do have an elliptical to help not lose the conditioning gains I have made these past two months. Looking at my training calendar for BF I won’t hit 1 mile until October 4th. But looking ahead should be doing 2 miles before the end of October.

Hopefully by participating in the BF community I will stay focused and injury free.

Welcome!

Welcome, and great moniker! I'm a reader and diver also of similar age, although I prefer the Florida Keys to a dry suit. Your concern about TMTS is entirely appropriate and will serve you well as you ease your way safely and enjoyably into BFR. Your daily zero-heel-drop shoe wearing will help you through one of the early challenges with moving to BFR for most people - the extension of the achilles tendon further than it is accustomed to; you've already completed much of that preparation/conditioning. Go barefoot as much as you can to help move the sole conditioning along. This will also help strengthen the fine motor control tissues in your feet, although the Birkenstocks again have you with a head start over most of us who came to BFR cold turkey. Glad to have you with us!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts