Worst Run of The Season

BillBlack

Barefooters
May 24, 2011
Just had my worst run of the season. I had to do a 3 mile night barefoot run due to the heat and instead of this parking lot I have been using, I ran down a nearby series of sidewalks. I was constantly dodging branches, trying not to step on various obstacles, never could relax completelyj and my form suffered as my calves explained to me in great detail the next day what they thought. Most unpleasant. Sticking to known, smooth terrain for me.

Bill

Man, that sounds fun. It

Man, that sounds fun. It sounds almost like a good trail run.

Bad runs serve two purposes,
[*]improve mental stamina[*]Remind us what good runs feel like and keep us from taking good runs for granted

Agreed ^I like that kind of

Agreed ^

I like that kind of obstacles, runs like that keep my mind occupied on other thinks rather than in the run itself.

Learn to enjoy them.

Sounds good!  The biggest

Sounds good! The biggest part of BF running is recognizing the signals you're getting from your body, and it sounds like your body is saying "I've got enough to handle right now." You're listening.

But I suspect that eventually -- say in a year or two -- you will be picking sticks, etc, up and PLACING them on the sidewalk to give you more of a challenge, then venturing out to the local gravel pit to see if they've come up with any especially interesting new mixes of crushed stone, and in general hollering, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?

Enjoy the summer!

A couple meters of moist

A couple meters of moist ground in the woods pay for long distance of roots, sticks, gravel and other little obstacles.

As long as your got used to it enough to not have anything really break in your feet improviing the tolerance for the abundance of signals from the feet on the rougher unknown ground is one of the bigger hurdles. But it gets easier over time!

Almost all of my runs are in

Almost all of my runs are in the dark on sidewalks and I try to do a new rout each time. I've heard it said, running is 90% mental and the other 10% is mental! If you get your head right before you run, then the sneaky rocks, twigs and things don't shock you or your form, you can stay relaxed and just have fun. I find it better when you run in the dark to EXPECT to step on something. It's nearly as good as actually running on gravel and chip seal. At least, that's been my experience.

Best of luck! Hope that helps some...

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7