Working with the Shoe-Bound Arch

Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
I was interested in exploring forefoot flexibility, after reading one of the articles in a different thread, "A Comparison of Foot Forms Among the Non-Shoe and Shoe-Wearing Chinese Population".
The unshod foot had laxity of the joints and tissues producing, in its natural form, a flexible foot with a degree of metatarsus latus, matatarsus primus varus, and hypermobility.
The foot in its natural unrestricted form is mobile and flexible without any of the statis complaints often encountered
This letter shows a table from the article.

This made me wonder about how lack of flexibility, might contribute to various conditions, and what might be done to improve flexibility.
Working with the Shoe-Bound Arch by Til Luchau, Myofascial Techniques

I couldn't find any studies exploring this question, but would something such as Morton's Toe be less of an issue, if the forefoot was more flexible, as might be expected in the habitually unshod?

I definitely want to read this article more thoroughly, but I was happy to see this quote: Michelangelo said, “What spirit is so empty and blind, that it cannot recognize that the foot is more noble than the shoe?” now in my signature!

Reactions: Sid
That's a great link there, Sid. Thanks! I am sharing these about MN with my MN buddies at MN Talk. I have a section there called Studies & Articles that I have posted some to, but with more time, I hope to have a lot.

What strikes me as interesting is that there are a lot of different treatments for Morton's neuroma, but few seem to be targeted at opening up the affected space between the 3rd and 4th metatarsals (except for MIND surgery). I wonder if people have attempted to stretch out the transverse metatarsal ligament?

Oddly enough, I couldn't find much on lengthening ligaments, except for these two posts.
Stretching Ligaments: A Yogi’s Apology
Thoughts on Lengthening Ligaments
I imagine that this sort of thing could take years, and most people wouldn't have the patience for it.

I read on MNTalk that someone complained that CorrectToes wouldn't fit in her shoes, which seemed odd, especially if her current shoes contributed to the problem. I got rid of my foot-destroying shoes a few years ago.

I have not heard of stretching out that ligament, and I stay pretty much on top of this condition, especially since I moderate MN Talk. If it takes that long, then yes, people won't have the patience for the time it would take.

There is another RADICAL procedure to free up the space where some lame ass docs will actually shave down the metatarsal bones on either side of the nerve! Can you imagine that?! Our bones weaken and become more porous as we age, and it seems like these so-called doctors aren't even thinking of their patients' futures. I think we would want our bones kept as strong as possible. But they don't care. They just want to worry about today.

I think that was the one I told to contact Dr. Ray and ask for a smaller pair.

Ha, ha, ha, ha! I hear ya!

I had tarsal tunnel decompression (cut open the tarsal tunnel ligaments) on both ankles because my doctor said I had TTS. He believes that about 50% of the people who have MN also have TTS. I complained of having pain and burning in my heels and arches, so he assumed that I had TTS. I don't know that I did/do. I still have the same pain I had before the decompression! But now I have two nice long scars on my inner ankles, two disconnected ligaments, and who knows how much scar tissue on the inside of my ankles! sigh.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts