Will wearing boots with some arch support wreck my feet?

clappboard

Barefooters
Jun 29, 2013
Hi, I posted this on the birthday shoes forums as well, but here goes...

I'm from Canada, and the winters here--as pretty much the whole world knows--can get a bit chilly. I also do a fair number of outdoors activities in the winter, so I need my feet to stay warm. I took up barefoot running about 5 months ago, and have worn nothing but these Merrels since then

My question is, will these Keen boots which do have some arch support, wreck what I've build up in my feet through barefoot running? Will running regularly in my Merrells or barefoot counteract any damage done by these boots?

I'm very concerned about the effect of different types of shoes and whatnot on my body, especially any permanent damage that may be done.

Any input is appreciated!

Feel free to post in the Ask the Docs forum as well. They may have dealt with some patients who have experience with this.

I don't think so, as long as they are not too tight. I have to wear boots for work occasionally and I just make sure they have plenty of toe room and not much heel lift. Better to be active, even shod, then barefoot and inactive. With a little searching, there are a lot of good options available for more minimal winter footwear.

Reactions: DNEchris
Moved thread to the ATD forum with a redirect that will expire in one day.

Keens are good shoes and do have good arch support. Will they ruin your feet?; No, but their benefits to you (other than warmth) depends on your body style. You may find them to be quite helpful if you have flat feet or are built asymmetrically. Those who have an asymmetrical built load the core asymmetrically which can result in a torqued core, and many resulting impact injuries since a torqued core loads the legs and does not absorb shock, making the legs much tighter (you can find a good explanation of this in my book Cheating Mother Nature, what you need to know to beat chronic pain available on Amazon.com). If you are asymmetrical, the shoe will level your hips out and improve the way you walk.

What is important though is proper shoe sizing, which unfortunately is a problem because different factory's may size their lasts (bottom of the shoe) differently. You may wish to view my how to size a shoe video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ZW0-IEs-k to check your self out.

I hope that helps.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7