Why won't the newspaper reporter listen?

Sounds like you've got a slow learner (not rare) who may actually be a good journalist (very rare). I hope he doesn't injure himself too badly. I didn't listen at the early learning stage and paid the price with a stress fracture. Hopefully his smarts ramp up faster than mine.

Reactions: Bare Lee
"If running barefoot were ideal, why were running shoes ever invented? Or any shoes for that matter? That's like someone giving up their car because a horse-drawn carriage is more natural! Dumb."

Did anyone read the comments? I thought this one was funny. Like people have never invented anything that did more harm than good, or something that didn't work out. With gas prices going up, I think I might get a horse-drawn carriage. How fast do those go? Can I take it on the freeway?

They're also finding that shoeing a horse is very damaging to not only the horse's feet but their overall health. I guess people like that would continue to shoe their horses then. Sad they don't get it, especially when it's so simple.

Update to the reporter: He saw me on Friday when I was volunteering at packet pickup and told me that he had pretty bad blisters and heel pain and would not be running barefoot for the 5k.

Update to the reporter: He saw me on Friday when I was volunteering at packet pickup and told me that he had pretty bad blisters and heel pain and would not be running barefoot for the 5k.
surprise surprise....problem took care of itself then, didn't it.
that's the beauty of barefoot and not minimal. your skin shouts at you (hopefully) before you have a chance to really hurt yourself.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Well, the stress fracture issue is real, but I've never heard of anyone injuring the heel - I think some of us (not me) have gotten stress fractures on the metatarsals, though.

FWIW, my first barefoot run was a mile and a half, and I ran a 5K 4 weeks after starting. It seems that things went a lot easier for me than for others, but it definitely isn't impossible. I never had calf soreness, but I was likely already midfoot striker with a short stride before transitioning. I had a couple of blisters during the transition, but they weren't too bad.

This is the whole article for those interested:

FOOT RACERS

Horse feces and a dead possum are just a couple of things Chase Williams has stepped on while running barefoot.

Williams, 27, wouldn't have it any other way, though.

After suffering a number of injuries, from shin splints to tendonitis in his ankle, the Lumberton man almost gave up running completely.

Instead, he took up a friend's suggestion to run barefoot - which Williams has done in the past 16 months.

"The way it feels, there is freedom, no restrictions - you get instant biofeedback," Williams said. "To be honest, I ljust never found a pair of shoes that I like."

Williams is part of a growing trend of runners hitting the pavement barefoot or with minimalist footwear - shoes that are almost glove - like for feet.

The idea is intriguing. Most people have fond memories of running around barefoot as children. Some of the fastest distance runners in the world, the Tarahumara Indians, of Mexico - who were featured in the 2009 book "Born to Run" - run barefoot or in lightweight sandals called huarachese.

Barefoot runners, like Williams, say that running barefoot lessens the risk of injury because it forces runners to land on the middle or the balls of their feet rather than their heels, which is a more natural movement.

A number of physicians also support that claim.

But orthopedic surgeons like Dr. David Teusher of Beaumont Bone and Joint caution against barefoot running.

Tueshcer said the risk of injury is much greater, particularly when it comes to a stress fracture to the heel from the impact of landing repetitively on a hard surface.

"A conventional running shoe theoretically gives better support, better shock absorption of the force from being transmitted to bones and joints," Teuscher said. "(Running shoes) always have an arch in them for a reason - runners need that support."

Dave Dial, 51, a Nederland native who has logged more than 158,000 lifetime miles, said he runs barefoot to supplement his workouts but never as a main form of training.

"You have to realize that we don't run on surfaces like we did when we were cavemen," Dial said. "We run on pavement and its pretty hard and unforgiving."

Teuscher said those who want to run barefoot should work at it gradually rather than trying to run a full race sans shoes. He also said barefoot or minimalist running should be done on a surface softer than concrete or asphalt, although sand at a beach might not be the best place because of uneven surfaces.

"It might be fun to try, if patterned after someone who has done it successfully," Teuscher said. "I've never done it, though."

William Fermo, 34, of Lumberton started running barefoot a year ago after he saw Williams run the Gusher marathon with no shoes.

Fermo took off his shoes for the last quarter mile of one of his training runs and gradually started running longer and longer distances without them.

He said in the beginning he had blood blisters and sore calves, but those went away after a few weeks.

"You are working muscles that you don't normally work (while wearing shoes)," said Fermo, who is studying for his board exam to be a family practice physician.

He said it took him three months to run a 5k (3.1 miles,) six months to run a 10K, eight months to do a half--marathon and a year before he did a full marathon, the 2012 Houston marathon, barefoot.

Jackie John, manager of On the Run shoe store in Beaumont, recommends taking a similar approach with minimalist footwear.

"You want to incorporate that shoe into only 10 percent of your workout and keep on incorporating it until you can do a full workout with it," John said.

Fermo says he has had no injury problems while runnign barefoot but has gotten some snide remarks from people. "Things like 'Where are your shoes?' or 'You should get a tetanus shot,'" Fermo said.

Fermo plans to wear shoes at Ssaturday's GUsher Marathon because he thinks the course's surface is too rough.

Williams said rough surfaces do not bother him. He ran a 50-mile ultra-marathon in Huntsville barefoot on a trail and regularly runs barefoot on trails in Village Creek State Park, he said, adding he has gotten to the point where he can step on sharp pine cones and not feel any pain.

"People seem to think the streets are lined with broken glass and hypodermic needles," Williams said. "That isn't the case."

For those wondering what Williams feet look like, he said he has no calluses or blisters and the his wife says his feet look better than hers.

"I think some are surprised when they see my feet do not look like Bilbo Baggins," Williams said, referring to a fictional character in "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings."

MINIMAL OPTIONS

Jeremy Fermo, 32, William Fermo's younger brother, isn't as comfortable with his bare feet being exposed, so he runs in Vibram FiveFingers shoes, a typo of minimalist footwear.

Jeremy Fermo said he has been running in them for about a year and a half and has put more than 1,000 miles on the shoes which he said cost him $100.

"I used to buy (Asics Gel-Kayanos) every three months for 140 bucks and I'd get horrible shin splints," Jeremy Fermo said. "When I started running in these, the shin splints went away."

According to the ST. Louis Post-Dispatch, sales for Vibram FiveFingers grew from about $450,000 in 2006 to an estimated $50 million last year, while barefoot-style running shoes in general were a $1.7 billion industry last year.

Dial, the Nederland native who doesn't particularly care for barefoot running doesn't think these shoes should be made or sold, though.

"Sometimes I get aggravated with the shoe companies," Dial said. "Do you really care about the runners or do you just care about making money? And I think it's the latter because they know that's the flavor of the month."

@rbondi: that typo is me typing out the whole article as fast as I could so everyone could read it LOL. Sorry about that.
Vibram FiveFingers shoes, a typo of minimalist footwear

I have never seen a typo that included the word typo. Not a bad article. I did not see any bias based on his own experience.

Couldn't you copy it instead? o_O

"If running barefoot were ideal, why were running shoes ever invented? Or any shoes for that matter? That's like someone giving up their car because a horse-drawn carriage is more natural! Dumb."

Did anyone read the comments? I thought this one was funny. Like people have never invented anything that did more harm than good, or something that didn't work out. With gas prices going up, I think I might get a horse-drawn carriage. How fast do those go? Can I take it on the freeway?

Yeah that's kind of nuts, I never feel comfortable leaving negative comments without doing research first to make sure I know what I am talking about (though I don't typically like leaving negative comments period). It kind of blows my mind that people think that all modern inventions and creations were created by some altruistic company trying to help mankind. Case in point: McDonald's

Yeah that's kind of nuts, I never feel comfortable leaving negative comments without doing research first to make sure I know what I am talking about (though I don't typically like leaving negative comments period). It kind of blows my mind that people think that all modern inventions and creations were created by some altruistic company trying to help mankind. Case in point: McDonald's
I guess the Enlightenment project is dead then. I've replaced my faith in progress with faith in cynicism. It has longer legs.

I actually had a good article written about me a few years ago.
"Vezmar also said it was painful to know that he had just bought a $100 pair of shoes to “correct his problem,” though he will probably never use them again."

Ha, the exact same thing happened to me. Around January 2011, I bought The ASICS Kayanos, when it became too cold for barefooting. Used them maybe twice, before switching back to the Nike Frees I had picked up the summer before, to finish out that winter's attempt to get back in shape, until fulltime nesting took over just before our second child was born in March. Then in May I took up BFR full-time. The hundred-dollar Kayanos sat dormant for almost a year--testament to my letting a teenager at Footlocker convince me that she knew something about pronation--until I bought a rowing machine last October. Now I use the Kayano's for my rows, cuz they seem to keep the foot locked into the machine better than when the feet are bare.

Nice article by the way!

Those damn teenagers today know everything, don't they? ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee