When can I return to running?

jimwb

Barefooters
Oct 8, 2011
I ran barefoot for 4 weeks, yes totally barefoot, and then my left heel started hurting after a total of 7-1/2 miles. I ran with it for another 4 weeks and then stopped running after advice from docs on this forum who suspected it might be a heel bruise. Now, I have been doing cross training for the last 4 weeks; no running.

My foot is not totally alright, but it is much better than before. Right now the only time I have pain is if I press my heel pretty hard on the bottom front or on the bottom outside. It doesn’t hurt anymore when I walk, however sometimes especially when I step out of bed it feels a little funny as though I am stepping on something hard, but no pain. When I touch it, it feels pretty close to the other heel now, just a little less squishy and a little hard in the middle. The strange thing is that it feels best and most squishy after I cross train like riding a bike. Note: I tried the so called hop test and I don’t feel anything when I hop on it.

My question now is I feel a common question, when can I return to running and what is the best way to start again? Should I start walking barefoot? I don’t really want to go to a doctor now and say that it is almost better. Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.

I'm not a doctor, but it

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like you have plantar fasciitis. The reason it would feel better after cross-training is because your calves have warmed-up and therefore so has your plantar fascia. When the area is cold, you can feel the tightness and/or pain more.

You do realize that the reason you're in this boat is because you definitely did too much too soon? 7-1/2 miles after only running this way for four weeks is very excessive. Not trying to be a hiney. Just concerned you don't repeat the same mistake twice.

The doctors can speak better to your injury though, and I'm sure Dr. Mark will be by shortly.

TJ,That was 7-1/2 total for

TJ,

That was 7-1/2 total for all 4 weeks, the most I ever ran at once was 2 miles.

I thought I was increasing very slowly.

The weard thing is that if it is PF, my arches have never hurt at all only my heel.

-Jim

My bad.  My apologies.  You

My bad. My apologies. You can have PF in just the heel, sometimes in just the arch, sometimes in both. I had a PF flare-up that ran up the arch muscle toward my inner ankle once that was wicked, brought on by sleeping in the wrong position; woke me out of my sleep in enormous pain. Let's wait to read what the docs say. Good luck.

Most heel pain is PF, and PF

Most heel pain is PF, and PF most commonly presents itself as heel pain.

That's because the PF attaches at the heel bone.

Agree w TJ and

Agree w TJ and Longboard,

doubt it it stress fracture. do barefoot walking and lots of general foot strength. stand on one leg, raise up on ball of foot, return to start position. this is excellent for all aspects of foot function and running.

Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark, TJ, and Longboard

Dr. Mark, TJ, and Longboard thank you.

After reading TJ's and Longboard's comments yesterday and noticing that even after I roll a tennis ball over my heel and arch it feels better, I began to believe that it was PF. I read Dr. Mark's post and some of the others on PF rehab which I thought were great and I decided to go for a 30 minute walk on a gravel path barefoot yesterday.

It was awesome and felt great. However, today it seems like my heel hurts a little worse, but not bad. Is that ok as I start the rehab or have I gone and done too much too soon again? I was thinking about mixing in a few minutes of slow BF running next week.

-Jim

Could one or more of the

Could one or more of the gravel rocks have bruised your foot on that walk? I would be careful of walking on gravel right now, although I can understand how that can feel therapeutic. Docs will know better.

Jim, TJ may be right on the

Jim,

TJ may be right on the bruise. It may sound like a silly question but how big was the gravel? If you are walking on smaller pea-gravel it is probably ok. If you are walking on larger landscape rock type gravel that may be a bit extreme. Think of it this way: you have seen the yogis lying on a bed of nails. The more nails on the bed, the less pain they feel because a greater amount of surface area is in contact with the nails. Less nails = less surface area = more pain. So, walking on a path with small gravel will be less painful and less stressful on your feet.

As far as doing too much too soon again, you may have or it may just be that you stressed the PF again causing a little new inflammation. That is hard to say. Do a shorter walk and build up from there to test it out. Wait until you are pain free to start running again. Start very small, working a couple hundred yards run into your walk and building up from there.

I don't want to sound like I'm wagging my finger at you, but my favorite piece of advice is to remember that running is a lifelong pastime not a goal to be reached! Take your time and listen to your body.

Hello there,

Here's a video that can help you determine when you can come back to running.

Self-Tests & Exercises To Reduce Over Pronation and Over Supination From Impacts During Walking and Running

If you have any further questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts