What the barefoot running craze has done to the shoe industry...

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
The athletic shoe market in Canada is worth approximately $1.3-billion, about 30 per cent of that going to running and jogging shoes. The U.S. running shoe market is worth approximately $6.5-billion. The minimalist category makes up about 15 per cent of that, according to Matt Powell, an analyst with SportsOneSource, which tracks retail sales data. Sales of minimalist shoes are up about double over last year, he says.

If you're interested in the full article:

What the barefoot running craze has done to the shoe industry

Reactions: Sid
I think most running shoe buyers do not actually run...ever... they wear them for the fashion statement...like they could be a runner. I would guess most people in the U.S. own a running style shoe but only a small percentage of people actually run...which means they buy for style not for the running...which contributes to the shoe companies mostly basing their shoes on style not running reasons. So minimalist shoes really need to become a fashion item and it will drive the overall shoe models that way...might affect things more than what actual runners influence.

Reactions: Bare Lee
You would think the numbers are going down. Since barefoot = no need for shoes.

True but the barefoot explosion from .0001% to .001% may not be having the overall effect us barefooters sense...or maybe I'm just wrong....it seems like the minshoes are the main benefactors.

Just to add... I think us barefooters are like the tip of an iceberg, we gain a small amount when the iceberg grows but the 90% underwater(minshoes) get 90% of the growth.

You would think the numbers are going down. Since barefoot = no need for shoes.

I don't know about everyone else, but I've bought quite a few shoes since transitioning.

KSO Treks: "Hey, these look cool. I'll give them a try!"
Bikila: "These are lighter and feel speedier!"
Barefoot: "I'll never need shoes again!"
Nike water shoes: "Well, I need some minimalist shoes to wear in stores"
Evo: "Bah, getting calluses from the Bikila's. These look nice! Pricey, though. However, I need something to run in, when I need to give my feet a rest."
Neo: "Those Evo's feel a bit tight in the toebox. These feel wider."
Just ordered the Aqua Lite: "Those Neo's get a bit hot. How could one go wrong with 'Lee Saxby's go-to, on road, running shoe'? Better ground feel? I'm sold!"

Terra Plana Hamilton: "Well, I do need minimalist shoes for work."
Dharma: "Those Hamilton's are starting to feel a bit tight."

DIY sandals Vibram Cherry: "It'd be nice to have some sandals, too"
Dopie sandals: "These look much more sturdy. Wow, I'm lucky to find any in stock, nowadays!"

Sure, I run barefoot. Though I personally can't be barefoot everywhere in my life.

I think most running shoe buyers do not actually run...ever... they wear them for the fashion statement...like they could be a runner. I would guess most people in the U.S. own a running style shoe but only a small percentage of people actually run...which means they buy for style not for the running...which contributes to the shoe companies mostly basing their shoes on style not running reasons. So minimalist shoes really need to become a fashion item and it will drive the overall shoe models that way...might affect things more than what actual runners influence.

Yip, like the way SUV purchasers rarely need to drive up mountain passes like in the commercials, more like suburban parking lots. And isn't there the meme that home treadmills are simply very pricey laundry racks? Ah well, what can ya do.

Sid, meet Scedastic. Scedastic, meet sid. Are you guys related? Hee. [see avatars]

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
I understand what Sid is saying, I did buy a pair of Luna sandals
and wear those to work. Actually I'd go barefoot if I thought I could
get away with it, when I'm in the building I do wander around that
way some... its funny some of the looks I get, one guy today said "Do
you KNOW how dirty these floors are?", to which I replied "well, not
as dirty as some of the roads I run on." That shut him up :p

I think mokaman is right too, you can tell lots of people wearing them
don't run :rolleyes:

Or try "Not as dirty as the inside of your shoes. :p"

Funny!