Video dipicting proper running form from member, Dr. Mark Cucuzzella

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Hi TJ,Now that is the style

Hi TJ,

Now that is the style I think we are all aspiring to. He just seems to float along the ground.

I had a pretty good run today, only a short one. The tide was too high on the beach so ran along the pavement.

It was a game of chase with a friend of mine (also barefoot) who I gave around 1km start over a 4km course. It gives me a real incentive to run fast and I was hurtling along in the last km but I didn't manage to catch the hare.

I also spotted another barefoot pavement runner too, wooo there must be 3 now at least.

Neil

I like that.  Let someone go

I like that. Let someone go ahead of you, then try to catch them. Now that's called pushing yourself.

What a wonderful video, given

What a wonderful video, given that I haven't really seen too many videos of such an aesthetic quality... simply beautiful. Everything about it is inviting.

Question for you experienced folks... what would you estimate his pace to be, in min/mi? I'm not asking because I'm looking for excuses to run faster than my level's got me at now, I'm just curious if this guy's doing a 7:30 pace or a 9:00 pace. I'm currently running pretty slowly, closer to 11:00 or even 12:00 pace and he's flying compared to me.

Again, what beautiful style... this video will serve as a great ambassador for BFR... I'll be sharing it out.

I'd say at some points in the

I'd say at some points in the video that guy is running less than a 6 minute mile pace. He kind of reminded me of Michael Sandler's video where he is hauling ass while chatting away with the camera. Good stuff.

I agree with Abide on all

I agree with Abide on all counts. He's fast! Now maybe that was just "for the camera," but I suspect not. I used to be something like that fast, but never was that fluid and graceful.

I'm going to go watch it again now.

Beautiful video.  Very fine

Beautiful video. Very fine advice. It almost shows the shoe store the video advertises at the end isn't necessary!

A few details in the video and on the web site suggest that to run barefoot like that, you have to grow up without shoes. For example, on their "About" page: [font="Lucida Sans Unicode, Lucida Grande, sans-serif"]"Both old and new research and the experiences of injured runners give layers of evidence that the human foot must develop naturally during youth and continue into adulthood to function and behave like a foot."[/font]

The evidence of many BRS members would seem to contradict this. While obviously, yes, it does take time to adapt to running barefoot, it's obviously not true that people who grew up in shoes have to throw up their hands and wear shoes. Many of the accomplished runners on this site grew up wearing shoes!

I think this video is another example of the emerging consensus and yet division in the running world. Almost everybody can agree that running should be easier, less painful, and more fun. And barefoot-style running (whether you wear shoes or not) can take you a long way to those things. But beyond that point the advice seems to diverge. Authors who are mostly concerned with race performance (or who have a business are selling shoes) tend to suggest that it is necessary or desirable to wear shoes. Authors who are most concerned with the running experience tend to see shoes as more optional.

Dr. Mark, are you here to respond? I'm guessing that you're in the first group.

Abide, I like the look of the

Abide, I like the look of the drills. I've never done such, at least since I ran in HS, but I'll try them. I don't think they'll hurt and may well be very helpful. I'd love to go down there to MD to try one of their group runs. It's just a bit too long of a stretch at 2 hours or more.

Barefoot runners, Thanks

Barefoot runners,

Thanks for the kind comments. here's my story...been through the same trail of tears as most of you and now figuring it out. see this link http://zero-drop.com/?p=1485

folks asking about pace...probably close to 6 min/mile. that is my running pace for 26 miles so this is relaxed and not forced....all elastic recoil. just ran Boston (in shoes) in 2:37:00 which is exactly 6 min/mile.

the drills break down stride components...like trying to learn a golf swing. then you put it together and it becomes unconscious.

spending time in barefeet dials in the good form...but as the video say progress slowly and listen to your feet.

Learn. Evolve. Run!

Mark

OMGosh, Dr. Mark!  What is

OMGosh, Dr. Mark! What is that on your feet in the picture from that link? Say it isn't so! ;-) I'm impressed with your speed. Will you consider running a barefoot marathon, if you haven't already?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7