Suggestions for heart rate monitor for MAF method?

Hydrophile

Barefooters
May 22, 2012
Hi folks,

Newbie member here who wants to start training with the maffetone method in earnest. I'm primarily interested in a heart rate monitor and not a GPS/HRM combo, because I don't want to obsess about pace. Ideally, I'd like a monitor that will audibly let me know when I've exceeded a HR threshold so I don't have to keep an eye on the watch. Does anyone have a prefered HRM that does this?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

Newbie member here who wants to start training with the maffetone method in earnest. I'm primarily interested in a heart rate monitor and not a GPS/HRM combo, because I don't want to obsess about pace. Ideally, I'd like a monitor that will audibly let me know when I've exceeded a HR threshold so I don't have to keep an eye on the watch. Does anyone have a prefered HRM that does this?

Thanks!
any heart rate devise has an high and low heart rate alarm you can set yourself,polar,suunto,timex etc.:)

DEpends on how you're going to use it in the longer term. You can pay more for multi function, multi sport type devices, or for those with better battery life, or those offering different types of feedback, mapping etc.

Think what you want it for and then try to find one to fit your spec. Personally I've had a Garmin F50, F405 and now 310XT, all of which did what i wanted at the time.

Polar and Timex seem to be good, Suunto have this EPOC thing which appears to be a random number generator ;) and more importantly I know of some significant historic reliability issues with the HR straps - not sure if they are fixed yet.

I went "low-end" and got a Polar FT1. You can set upper and lower limits, and it beeps at you if your heart rate is outside the range. It doesn't really have any other functions or features. Yesterday I discovered that it also works in the pool, so bonus points for that.

I would also recommend Polar or Timex, even their low-end products are dependable and are quite affordable ($40-$50). As most here already mentioned, just make sure it has an audible heart rate range alert and customizable ranges, since MAF ranges tend to be very specific to you and won't match predefined "zones".

Reactions: NickW
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll be checking out some Polar and Timex models, especially the one that works in the pool since I'm a swimmer as well. I will hopfeully be joining the masses on the main MAF thread with some initial data in a few weeks.

Don't wear a white shirt. HRM's are very noticeable under white shirts. I had a guy yell at me a week or two about my bra(hrm) as he was driving by...

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll be checking out some Polar and Timex models, especially the one that works in the pool since I'm a swimmer as well. I will hopfeully be joining the masses on the main MAF thread with some initial data in a few weeks.

I'm not sure how well it will work in the pool, as the water tends to attenuate the signal to the wrist unit and you may have difficulty maintainig contact anyway.

On another forum, someone (a triathlete) suggested a swim specific watch/lap counter. I can look that up if you like

Don't wear a white shirt. HRM's are very noticeable under white shirts. I had a guy yell at me a week or two about my bra(hrm) as he was driving by...

:D roflmao

I've had Polar and Timex HRMs and no, they're thin enough and therefore not noticeable under a loose t-shirt.

I've never run in white shirts, but I do agree with Nick that an HRM can be confused for a black bra when looked from behind, so that comment yelled at him does not surprise me, hehe :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon