Stress Reaction - ok to walk barefoot while healing?

claff

Barefooters
Jan 13, 2012
Hello everyone,

Broke the golden rule about 10 days ago on a longish run (20km): started in 'normal' running shoes with the intent of finishing the run in VFF or bare feet as I generally do - usually last 2-4kms or so. I got a blister about half way thrugh and switched earlier than planned to VFF and ended up running about 8km in them. My stupid mistake was to ignore some top of foot pain on the left side that presented almost immediately upon changing.

Pretty sore when I got back home, and pretty sore walking for a couple of days - not exruciating. Poking around it seems localised in the 2nd Metatarsal. Walking around in minimalist shoes pain free but occasionally "aware" of low level soreness after two days or so.

Went to sports doc who was keen to get an MRI to confirm what he thought was a stress reaction - not progressed to stress fracture as I would be in more pain.

I was reluctant to get the scan (due to cost) and suggested that I was happy to rest for 4 weeks and then build up slowly under the assumption that the diagnosis was correct. Doc agreed that this was reasonable.

So... my query is:

the doc recommended spending as much time as possible in "supportive" shoes and avoiding bare feet while healing.

I would prefer to stay in bare feet and minimalist shoes while there is no pain. I would also like to continue balancing exercises etc.

Am I being stubborn? Do you guys think it is ok to be guided by pain levels and still spend as much time as possible in bare feet / minimal shoes to strengthen feet? What about foot strenghtening while recovering - again guided by pain levels.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Claff

My son had an incident very

My son had an incident very much like this. He did the Xray, no stress fracture, so the doc had him buddy tape the toe to the big toe for two-three weeks before he tried running again. Taping the toe could have just been a placebo, I don't know.

But it seemed to work for my kid. Of course, he's 17, so everything heals quickly still.

Not a doc.Based on my

Not a doc.

Based on my experience (1 met fracture and several met "stress reactions" [2 confirmed by MRI])... I'd say to do the supportive shoe for at least a week - give the bone a chance.

At this point, the bone regeneration process hasn't been able to keep up. The supportive shoe will take some of the strain off of it while still allowing the anabolic (positive) effects of weight-bearing, shock (vibration), and limited muscle activity to work towards healing.

I would (have and do) do balance / proprioception exercises as tolerated (ie, pain free).

After a week, I'd consider a return to gentle barefoot walking as therapy and consider using a more supportive shoe for any longish jaunts (say, a several block walk from parking to work).

Typically, a gradual return to running can begin when the following two conditions have been true for a week

1) there is no (NO!) pain on palpation

2) there is no pain when hopping (1-legged) on the injured foot

Just my 2 cents based on way too much personal experience. I'm sure the Docs will be along momentarily.

Hi Claff,Lots of good tips

Hi Claff,

Lots of good tips from Buzzie, and I would agree with them all. I would also add vigorous massage to the your calf muscles, especially the soleus (the lower calf), and gentle massage to the bottoms of your feet within your pain tolerance. There is also a small muscle on top of your foot on the lateral half called the extensor digitorum brevis. You can find it by extending all your toes up and watching for the little ball of muscle that pops up. Gently get that muscle too, and the tendons on top of your foot. The best implement is my patent pending "Wonder massager for runners". (A cheap wood rolling pin from your favorite hardware or home store.)

NO running with pain, shoes or not. Let it heal completely so you don't end up with the same problem after your first run back.

Sounds like your doc is

Sounds like your doc is supportive of barefoot running but still said to go to a supportive shoe while you get better. Sounds like good advice to me.

When I had TOFP, I made sure to stretch my foot and massage it a ton. Really seemed to help.

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses everyone. I will take the advice and spend a week or two trying to stay in supportive shoes (which I've grown to really dislike!).

It has been feeling progressively better but then I waas testing it out last night by doing some short fast hops and agrivated it after 20 or so hops. Sore to walk again today - but not as bad as when I first did it. Can't beleive how dumb I am. Will be conservative from now for two weeks and keep you posted.

Very frustrating injury - a bit scary actually. I've had all the usual stuff that get's one looking at barefoot (shin splints, ITB, PF, etc) but none of that requires a complete rest like this.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers, Claff

Just remember ... every time

Just remember ... every time it feels sore like it did after today's hops, you've likely undone some healing.
wink.png

(At least this is how I HAVE to chastise myself to keep me out of too-little shoe [said the girl who is now taking a couple more steps backwards in her comeback]. IOW - if it hurts when you do "this," stop doing "this"! Give your poor foot a break - but not literally!)

BTW - bone is easy compared to soft tissue issues like ITB and tendinitis. Simply give it rest and it will be better than new. The others can take months and months and lead you to a host of other injuries while you compensate.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon