Sprinting barefoot

I also agree....and I

I also agree....and I dissagree.

My intention was not to get pointers or validation of the training technique so I could go out today and try to rip a muscle by sprinting down the side of a Texas Mountain (hill to most other states). I believe anyone getting into BFR should start with proficiency/quality until it's second nature and they are fully acclimated before they increase the intensity and strain. That's just smart training.

Where I don't agree is in that a beginner should have perfect form on a flat surface prior to taking on a hill. BF KB states, in his book for beginners, you should start with a low grade hill to familiarize yourself with the technique. You see, even in TX, you're hard pressed to find a rout more than 3 miles, or so, that does not have some sort of a hill.(my immediate neighborhood has a few monsters!) Knowing how to tackle such assents and descend without the added strain on joints, for someone who has been through ACL surgery, is valuable information, especially for a Newb, such as myself. The normal choppy heal toe brakes on decent of even the slowest shod runner is all bad, even when you have no shoes.

However, we are talking sprints here, so I should further clarify, I am building a knowledge base, so when the time comes that 5K, 10K & 15k at a "reasonable" pace is no longer enough for me, I will know where to go from there to be more "competative" even if it's just with my PB. I want to know what works to get me faster, safely. I'm also gathering intel on training for a 26.2 in spite of my intended participation being a year off +/-. I believe Gentile and SayPay have both used shorter sprint training to train for a marathon, so this information holds my interest for more than one reason.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude or gruff. I should have specified I was aware the TMTS philosophy applies throughout the never ending process of perfecting BFR in my initial post here and even the most experienced feet streaker should "look before they leap" and ease into something new. Sorry for the back track.

All that being said, can anyone lend some insight into the validity of this method for increasing speed and/or endurance, training practices, drills to prepare to bomb down a sharp hill, etc? (for future reference)

Thanks!

-Jonny

Since I run more for fun and

Since I run more for fun and fitness, I don't have a gps or watch. A sprint for me is when I can feel wind in my face on a still day. My normal speed so far is between 10-12 m/m for about 4 miles a couple times a week. To sprint, I go lower per KenBob and pick up my cadence a little. When I go lower just the bend in my leg makes for a longer stride, but I still land near my CG and the rear foot comes up faster due to cadence.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon