Shoes for running on trails.

White Horse

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2012
Abu Dhabi
I am running on pavement and roads and finding it really good. However I am curious to know about running on trails. Especially really rocky (unsafe to bare feet) type trails.
What is it that you other (mostly barefoot) runners use for such areas if you really had to...

I guess one suggestion would be VFF, what others? I am looking for the most minimalist option.
Thanks in advance :)

I haven't done much trail running barefoot, but I've done some. Just because they are rocky does not mean they are unsafe. I've had small thing embedded in my soles from running on roads, but no injuries (yet) in trails. I love being barefoot on the trail.

I'm an avid trail runner, though the trails I run on do not have a lot of super large rocks. I just bought a pair of Moc3s (from RunAmoc) - they are super thin compared to VFFs, so I will be interested to see how they work. I have not received them yet, but I can't wait! They have so many more options for minimalist shoes now, than they did even a year ago when I started running.

Reactions: NickW
Just a reminder Jen but I want to hear what you think of those Moc3's after you get them. They will be pretty slippy for you running on WW during the winter as there is no tread on them. Hope they work out great though, just like I'm hoping my Zems will work out for me.

Reactions: jldeleon
Just a reminder Jen but I want to hear what you think of those Moc3's after you get them. They will be pretty slippy for you running on WW during the winter as there is no tread on them. Hope they work out great though, just like I'm hoping my Zems will work out for me.

Perhaps, but if they are thin enough, tread is not as important because the my feet will be able to grip the ground better. Also, I plan to join a gym so I am going to use them in there. And for work too. Any way I look at it, they are going to get their $100 use!!! Maybe I'll even wear them at night. BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Reactions: NickW
For really rough trails Merrell Trail gloves are great, for not so rough, I've used Lunas, and VFFs. I have Moc3s which are awesome, but I've never really tried them on trails. I can add that I've been really impressed with the traction in my flat vibram soled footwear (Lunas, Moc3s), though I think Nick may be correct on the traction issue he is talking about, as that trail will be really muddy.

Janson, do you have the normal width TG or the wide width? I'm always trying to find people that have the wide width TG so I can pick their brains.

I've got the normal width. I thought they were too narrow when I tried them on in the store so I was thinking about the wide, but then I ran in Mikes normal width ones and they fit fine, so I just went with the normal width ones. Plus they don't make as many colors in wide :D

I only want the black ones in the wide, assuming they are actually wider than the normal width. I've read somewhere that a lot of companies use the same sole on the wider width as they do on the normal, but they attach the upper so it is looser and can handle a wider width foot. If that is the way the wide with TG's are then I cannot use them. I can't find any reviews about if they are actually a wider sole or if it is made wider by the method I just described.

I've read somewhere that a lot of companies use the same sole on the wider width as they do on the normal, but they attach the upper so it is looser and can handle a wider width foot.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Has Jason not been able to provide information on how Merrell does that?

Got my Moc3s today. Won't be able to run in them for weeks. :( But from what little I have worn them, they seem to fit perfectly! :) AND they DO have tread on the bottom of them! It's not super deep, but it's distinct - so perhaps they will work for mud!

Currently I try to do everything barefoot including "unsafe to bare feet" trails. There is a catch though, speed (in my case snail speed). I have been barefoot running for over 1.5 years so I consider my foot conditioning pretty good. I try to start every run barefoot, and if it is just too rough, becomes unsafe, or I am just not having fun, I have Unshoes Wokovas that work well on trails. But sandals have troubles in muddy conditions, it's starting to get cold, and I am getting bit by the speed bug again, so I am considering the Altra Superiors.

Thankyou for the replies, and sorry i did not reply earlier.
I had a rather unpleasant 'eye-opening' experience last weekend and had been since trying to figure that out. :(

I had the opportunity to try on some pairs of Zemgears & vivo barefoot. I liked the feel (and look) of the zemgears and decided to maybe pick a pair to wear in places where I have to be with shoes of some kind...
So I try on a pair, and decide to do a slow run in the aisle to see how it feels. Just a bit of walk and a slow...very slow easy jog... love the feel of the shoe and then bam!

I felt as though my right foot was being electrocuted. There was a feeling of tingling on the side (but top) of my foot and a stab on the ball of my foot. I tried to shake it off cause I had never experienced anything like that. Removed the shoes, massaged me feet a bit and tried it on again. It was the same.
So I put it down to soreness of some sort from my last run (of 2 days before) and swollen feet (both feet) since I have had a very hectic time at work and long hours sitting makes my feet swollen (medically doc says theres nothing wrong with me) and since I liked the feel of the shoes, I bought them.

Put my other pair (a very thin soled open sandals) and walk back to the parking. The pain in the ball of my foot just got worse till I was sort of limping. I just wanted to yank the sandals off and walk, but being in the mall, I had no choice but to just take it one step at a time. :(

Got into the car and took them off and then sat in contemplation till I reached home. Reached home, massaged my foot, soaked it in cold water, massaged again and lay in bed to get the swelling down and consequently the pain maybe as well... but couldn't help having a sinking feeling overall... worried that some other form of Plantar Fascists & Achilles Tendonitis may have returned.

Goggled (couldn't help myself) my symptoms and the closest thing I could find to describe what I was feeling on my foot was Morton's Neuroma.
That evening we were staying over at a friends place that was a 100k drive away, so took the opportunity to spend a 10-15 mins, once there, to walk on gravel and it felt so good on my feet and took the pain away for a while, but back on the road, the electrocution was still there so just stuck to gravel for a bit and went to bed early.

The next day, my foot felt better, that is no pain and the swelling was down too. A slow run on the road (300m) barefoot felt as good as before, but I did not push it. Took an appointment with my ortho (this week) and went back to the mall and returned the shoes. At night, again tried a very slow 800m run, without pain or tingling.

This week did another 5k & 7k (run walk) without any incident, but have decided to see the doc all the same just to rule out MN if thats the case or anything else whatever it was.

Yeah, that sounds super complicated. My initial thought was PF, but the doctors can help more. It can take awhile for them to get back to you, but their answers are usually pretty insightful.

will do rickwhitelaw & jldeleon :)
I have not yet met with the docs, just waiting for those symptoms to come back so as to be more clear when explaining. also the docs here (where I live that is) can be a real pain. So unless I have the symptoms showing they are just going to send me off with some painkiller (which I hate to take) and ask to soak my legs in warm water or put my feet into orthotics.

The last time I had PF, (which is not what I have now) I googled solutions and finally came to 'eccentric' exercises' for PF that helped. The doc I was seeing suggested I walk around in silicone inserts for the rest of my life. :rolleyes: