Running on a frying pan....

I suspect after a full years

I suspect after a full years worth of running in various conditions and surfaces, the following year won't seem as "transitional" as the first. I think running on any rough surface like gravel or chip seal with no surface varition for miles would cause even the most seasoned feet to feel some stings and hot spots. At this point, if there is even slight mis-stepping in my form and I don't catch it, I'll get "stinger spots" where blisters would have formed had I not stopped in time.

I'll say this about BFR: The transition period is both exciting and very difficult in that there are times you just want to stop and wear shoes; it's a real mental challenge to keep going during this time. I think I'm going to compromise and stick with sidewalks and more "smooth" surfaces rather the graveled track I usually use. For speed runs, I'm wearing shoes, no doubt about it. I'm still working on the whole relaxing thing and with BFR, relaxation is the key, espeically when the run gets uncomfortable for some reason.

Abide wrote:Jonny how much

Abide said:
Jonny how much time do you spend barefoot normally? I think the quickest fix for blisters is to not wear shoes at all during the day. This allows the old skin to dry out and the new skin to toughen up faster in my experience.

When I'm home, I'm barefoot. Our house is all hand scrapped wood floors or tile, too, but it's all real smooth. I'm just not used to the rough surface, I think. I shoulda stuck to the sidewalks...woulda made it further, I think. I'll be sure to barefoot it all weekend, kicking around. Thanks for the tip. Think I'll use the VFFs for running for a while though. Only a week till my next race 6/4...

-Jonny

Barefoot Gentile

Barefoot Gentile said:
megabarefoot said:
The transition period is both exciting and very difficult in that there are times you just want to stop and wear shoes

Thankfully I never had that problem, once I took my first barefoot run:)

Yeah, it would be nice if I didn't either. That last run I did, the one I mentioned running on a frying pan that was absolutely awful, I'm still feeling this morning and this was suppose to be a running day. My forefoot feels like there is hardly any padding separating the metatarsal heads from any solid surface when I'm barefoot. Thankfully, wearing VFF KSO is sufficient but last night I wasn't really able to comfortably walk barefoot let alone jog. It just started for no apparent reason last evening. It's not pain so much as just a very disconcernting discomfort, like bone to hard surface. I know there is some condition where the padding under the metatarsal heads gets messed up or isin't as it should be; but I'm not really going to focus on that. this has happened briefly before, a couple of weeks ago, but went away within a day. If i find this continues, then my little experiment with BFR is over, which sucks. BFR is awesome, but it's not worth the transition period I'm having to endure. I dunno what is wrong with my feet or what I'm doing wrong to aggitate them at times but I run to enjoy it not endure it as if things will be fine in a few months. Perhaps I can still continue in VFFs or huarches.

Has anyone else had these sorts of growing pains and discomforts during BFR transition? I don't care so much that there is discomfort; what bothers me is that there is no reason or pattern to it. I'm not finished yet but I'm pretty damn close if this is gonna turn into a weekly thing. Maybe I"m just doing too many miles per week. 6-12 is what I'm aiming for now. My first full week of bfr was fine and it include to 3.2 mile rune and one 5.2 run. I don't think I'm doing anything different. I don't understand; it's not like BFR is difficult or anything.

megabarefoot wrote:Barefoot

megabarefoot said:
Barefoot Gentile said:
megabarefoot said:
The transition period is both exciting and very difficult in that there are times you just want to stop and wear shoes

Thankfully I never had that problem, once I took my first barefoot run:)

Yeah, it would be nice if I didn't either. That last run I did, the one I mentioned running on a frying pan that was absolutely awful, I'm still feeling this morning and this was suppose to be a running day. My forefoot feels like there is hardly any padding separating the metatarsal heads from any solid surface when I'm barefoot. Thankfully, wearing VFF KSO is sufficient but last night I wasn't really able to comfortably walk barefoot let alone jog. It just started for no apparent reason last evening. It's not pain so much as just a very disconcernting discomfort, like bone to hard surface. I know there is some condition where the padding under the metatarsal heads gets messed up or isin't as it should be; but I'm not really going to focus on that. this has happened briefly before, a couple of weeks ago, but went away within a day. If i find this continues, then my little experiment with BFR is over, which sucks. BFR is awesome, but it's not worth the transition period I'm having to endure. I dunno what is wrong with my feet or what I'm doing wrong to aggitate them at times but I run to enjoy it not endure it as if things will be fine in a few months. Perhaps I can still continue in VFFs or huarches.

Has anyone else had these sorts of growing pains and discomforts during BFR transition? I don't care so much that there is discomfort; what bothers me is that there is no reason or pattern to it. I'm not finished yet but I'm pretty damn close if this is gonna turn into a weekly thing. Maybe I"m just doing too many miles per week. 6-12 is what I'm aiming for now. My first full week of bfr was fine and it include to 3.2 mile rune and one 5.2 run. I don't think I'm doing anything different. I don't understand; it's not like BFR is difficult or anything.

Yes I had alot of growing pains and discomforts during my transition. Sounds like to me you are doing great with mileage and going about it the right way. It takes patiences and time. As far as it feels like you bone is hitting hard in the surface, maybe take a look at your form. Form and running lightly is essential with barefoot running. My number one goal was to get form down, everything else follows suite.

I ran a trail half marathon

I ran a trail half marathon this past weekend (report here: http://barefootrunners.org/forum-topic/my-first-trail-race-charlie-horse-half-marathon-pa)

We had to run a few miles on road, in full sun at noon. I took off my shoes for that road portion and the heat didn't bother me too much while running. Problems occured when I started walking the hills. I burned the heel of my right foot.

I think when running with a fast cadence the hot surface is less of a problem. My forefoot and midfoot did not suffer at all.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7