Rookie Poster - need advice

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
I am a rookie poster and need your advice and patience.

I do not belong to any groups or organizations other than BRS. BRS has been the main source for my successful transition to BF running. I am very inexperienced with social media and have never posted anything on other sites.

After a few bad posts I have made, and receiving some backlash, I had to question why I am here. I came up with: to further educate myself and improve on BF running, share my experiences, and find some people that have some similar interests. Do I want to leave the site because of a few stupid comments that I made and getting some criticism? NO. I understand that this is a big group with lots of different opinions. I just don't want to be labeled because of a few strong opinions that I have. I am actually a very easy going guy and I am open to anything.

Here are a few questions I have about posting:

1. When should a post be in a forum or a blog?

2. How do I post mileage or goals without sounding boastful?

3. How do I recommend min-shoes without sounding brand specific?

4. How do I post about my injuries and setbacks without sounding like an idiot?

5. How do I post any nutritional advice without posting my history and what I have been through in every post?

6. How do I post any humor without sounding dry or sarcastic? I think that is what the smileys are for.

7. How I reply to a comment and get the box with the "so and so said:" in my post? Cut and Paste issue.

Again, sorry for offending anyone. I do realize that I need to "think before I type". I love this website and it has keep me educated, entertained, and motivated through these cold months.

Rick W.

I can't think of anything

I can't think of anything that you've said that would have been considered bothersome. Maybe I'm not reading the right threads but I'd say forget about it. If someone says something you don't like it's up to you to decide to let it bother you. Some of us on here are extremely opinionated and brash but others are very laid back and cool. It's pretty much the way it is anywhere in life either in person or online.

If you feel you've said something out of line and someone calls you on it then apologize. If you said something harmless and someone acted like aggressive with their response then do one of two things. Either call them out and deal with it or just move on.

I don't want to see anyone feel uncomfortable here because that's not the point of this group but with any open door policy you're going to let some knuckleheads in. You take the bad to get the good and there's really nothing you can do about it.

I don't have answers to your questions because I really don't think it's necessary to worry about any of those things. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions.

I'm new here myself, and

I'm new here myself, and there are definitely opinionated people , but it's the internet. Don't worry about it. You ticked one guy off that I could see, so don't be such a wuss. (Kidding.) Now get back to making dinner for your family. ;)

I would use a blog to keep up a continuing history of your running experiences. Other posts are a little more about interaction, I think.

Rick, don't even question

Rick, don't even question yourself that way. You're a nice guy, and we appreciate your contributions here. Your posts are helpful and insightful. You are one of us, family. Besides, the guy who made that remark apologized and admitted he was in the wrong for not talking to you first instead of making assumptions. Let's forgive and move on. Deal?

rickwhitelaw wrote:I am a

rickwhitelaw said:

5. How do I post any nutritional advice without posting my history and what I have been through in every post?

6. How do I post any humor without sounding dry or sarcastic? I think that is what the smileys are for.

7. How I reply to a comment and get the box with the "so and so said:" in my post? Cut and Paste issue.

Again, sorry for offending anyone. I do realize that I need to "think before I type". I love this website and it has keep me educated, entertained, and motivated through these cold months.

Rick W.

1. no idea---maybe when you have a lot to say, put it in a blog?

2. whatever---boastful or not, mileage posts are encouraging to me.

3. ? well, you can talk about what you know, but that's hard to do without telling them the brand, but I guess you could avoid it.

4. we all sound like idiots sometimes, right?

5. no idea

6. what's the matter with being dry and sarcastic?

7. click on the 'quote' thing at the end of the post you want to quote, then cut whatever you don't want to quote and write below the quote.

The fact that you care about offending people enough to ask puts you way ahead of the internet pack already, sir. You will be just fine is my prediction.

1.  When should a post be

1. When should a post be in a forum or a blog? always blog; then link to said blog in forum post. People love that.

2. How do I post mileage or goals without sounding boastful? add a zero to the end of all numbers. The less realistic these numbers seem, the more impressed I'll be

3. How do I recommend min-shoes without sounding brand specific? Not possible. The mere suggestion of a shoe, regardless of minimalistness, brands you and all your descendants "shoeple." Notable exception for homemade huaraches. They're grandfathered in.

4. How do I post about my injuries and setbacks without sounding like an idiot? Why? Sounding like an idiot is half the fun (see all my injury posts for exmples of how to amplify your own stupidity). If people think you're a simpleton they take pity on you.

5. How do I post any nutritional advice without posting my history and what I have been through in every post? Create a document with your history, put a note in your sig that says "if you want5 to know why i feel so strongly about nutrition pm me.) Send all pm requesters a copy of your story. Or blog and link, as in question one.

6. How do I post any humor without sounding dry or sarcastic? I think that is what the smileys are for. .
regular_smile.gif
Everything written feels colder than it is. Don't sweat it. Alternatively, insert one smiley for every three lines of humor.

7. How I reply to a comment and get the box with the "so and so said:" in my post? Cut and Paste issue. No idea; I use the "quote" button on the post i want to copy. Except here. I used copy/paste.

Of course, this is all in good fun. Interweb citizenship is rife with dust-ups; don't let it get you too frustrated. just do your thing and enjoy being part of the community. But, seriously, don't link to your blog. There's no call for that
wink_smile.gif

I think its fine to have

I think its fine to have disagreements on here. If we all just put +1 over and over there is no point. Sometimes people get mad over crap. Sometimes I do, but I try not to and usually don't it's a forum... lol. If the Texas crowd in here cared about making people mad, I think we'd have to leave. All is good, man.

I will indulge and answer my opinions on the questions though.

Forms, I try to keep it to a paragraph or less... but sometimes you have to do more...blogs are my own so I go on as much as I want. Some post longer... but I see the forums like a conversation... so answer as long as you would if you were talking to someone.

Post miles in the mileage forum. Boast all you want. I think that is part of what this place is here for. We boast and encourage eachother.

No idea. What brings this one on?

No idea. I stopped worrying about sounding like an idiot long ago. Chances are someone always thinks what we said was stupid. Oh well.

HAHAHA. I know what THIS ONE is about! I stayed out of that argument on purpose...

I don't know. Sarcasm is hard on the internet.

Press quote.

A little conflict and

A little conflict and difference of opinion is what a forum like this is for. If we all thought the same thing there would be nothing to discuss. Don't sweat the negative, they are only words and just that person's opinion. Remember knowledge is good and the more the knowledge that you or we as a group have is for the better of us all. So just smile :smile: and take it all in.

I agree that the fact that

I agree that the fact that you asked shows that you are more polite and respectful than some other people. I'm pretty opinionated and outspoken, some people are also very opinionated but not very outspoken, it's just personality differences. :)

I'm glad to have this community, we don't always agree, we don't always understand each other but we have a lot in common, just like family. ;)

rickwhitelaw wrote:I am a

rickwhitelaw said:

I do not belong to any groups or organizations other than BRS. BRS has been the main source for my successful transition to BF running. I am very inexperienced with social media and have never posted anything on other sites.

After a few bad posts I have made, and receiving some backlash, I had to question why I am here. I came up with: to further educate myself and improve on BF running, share my experiences, and find some people that have some similar interests. Do I want to leave the site because of a few stupid comments that I made and getting some criticism? NO. I understand that this is a big group with lots of different opinions. I just don't want to be labeled because of a few strong opinions that I have. I am actually a very easy going guy and I am open to anything.

Rick W.
Rick, I say post what you want when you want. People can TL, DR if they want but anyone complaining probably has other issues going on. I actually think there needs to be more posting around here!

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the replies. Helped ease my mind. A case of TMTS with my posting (still having a hard time figuring out the acronyms). I have a few more questions, but they can wait and I will just explore the site and have fun. I just discovered the tracking tab in my account and I also need to browse in the library more. Here's what I have come up with:

#1 and #4: I don't have much time to blog, but my first one will be: How I got hurt being an idiot, how long it took to recover, how to avoid it in the future.

#2: I'll post a few miles if anything interesting happens.

#3: You will notice that I will refer to Unshoes sandals a lot. They really work well for me. It just happens to be a major coincidence that they are made 40 miles from my house. I have met the owner and he is a great guy and is very concerned about his customers, so I will recommend his products. I just didn't want anyone to assume I had a deal going on, a Utah connection. I will try other huaraches in the future, but Luna's are a little pricey.

#5: Still working on.

#6: I'll keep the dry ones coming, so have your beverage of choice handy. I'll avoid sarcasm.

#7: I just tried it and lost my whole post, this is the second typing. I guess you quote first and then add text.

Growing up, I found that both

Growing up, I found that both approaches didn't work for me (being the a-hole or being the nice guy), so I decided to just be me. If they don't like it, too bad. At my age, I could care less.

forget the quotes. it bothers

forget the quotes. it bothers me that after reading a post i have to reread it to get to what wants to be said. just address the person and answer them. anyone with a high school level of reading should be able to follow along.

as far as pissing people off. its the internet, it happens. just be glad they don't live down the street and can come knock on your door. right Nick?
wink.png

*yes i've had a few, and then some*

Mike - Good advice.  Also,

Mike - Good advice. Also, just taking pieces of a quote like I just did is probably not a good idea. Someone that comes in later would have to go back to the original post to see what's going on. This becomes hard when the threads start to get over a few pages long.

I probably need to piss a few people off, just to get visitors out to the middle-of-nowhere in Utah.

Lomad - great answers. I sure helps to keep the mood light around here. Last year when I was researching about BF running I was suprised how fast the other forums would turn into ugly debates. BRS seemed much more friendly and helpful, so here I am.

TJ and others - Yep, I'll just be myself.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon