Recommend a Nutritional Education....book

Having flipped through Ultrametabolism, it appears to have a lot of pseudoscience and half-truths.

When I was trying to assemble the "ideal diet", I read and thought a lot about the different diets (and level of activity) of various cultures around the world, French, Mediterranean, Okinawan, Inuit, Paleo, Atkins, South Beach, low-carb, low-fat, high-protein, dairy, non-dairy, fish, soy, etc. I can't say that I was impressed with any correlation between what people eat vs. their level of health (other than avoiding fast/junk food or eating in excess). I can't say what's right for you, but personally I tried to take bits and pieces of what I thought was useful.

The diet that helped me lose 70+ pounds is quite different from the diet that I'm using to keep it off. Just as in running, I had to listen to my body to see what it needed, as it was changing over time. I'm fairly certain that what worked for me, won't work for you. This makes sense, though.As a teacher, I assume that you're able to look through all the data and pick out what parts apply to you through trial and error.

I have a friend who is a doctor that has gotten the special metabolic labs, dna testing, and is into the pseudoscience. He's a great guy, but still overweight, doesn't exercise much, and has a high stress life. I don't need special tests to know that I'm living a healthier lifestyle.
Yes. I agree with you that diets can work for different purposes. And I think any educated responsible person needs to look at what's out there and then pick out the best ideas for them. I also agree that I don't need the special tests. I did appreciate the basic overview of the book, which helped me put things like Atkins in perspective.

In the end, what has really helped has been reading a lot, comparing different ideas, and then refining my own viewpoint. Basically, I'm back where I was, which is focusing on whole foods, minus the loads of bread, pasta and beer I was taking in. Oh, and I feel a whole lot better now about fat, and a lot worse about the fact that all the snacks around work are usually sugary carbs like donuts. No more of those timebombs.

Reactions: Sid
Basically, I'm back where I was, which is focusing on whole foods, minus the loads of bread, pasta and beer I was taking in. Oh, and I feel a whole lot better now about fat, and a lot worse about the fact that all the snacks around work are usually sugary carbs like donuts.
I agree and personally avoid all junk food from the workplace. Through a lot of trial and error, I've found a combination of protein bars that get me through the workday.

I personally believe that there's a time and place for carbs. Athletes aren't on low carb diets for a reason.

You might find this article interesting. I don't see it mentioned very often in the mainstream books.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18198223

claw,

what do you mean less beer? is there a shortage?

I agree and personally avoid all junk food from the workplace. Through a lot of trial and error, I've found a combination of protein bars that get me through the workday.

I personally believe that there's a time and place for carbs. Athletes aren't on low carb diets for a reason.

You might find this article interesting. I don't see it mentioned very often in the mainstream books.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18198223

The protein bars are a good idea. Any recommendations?

As for the study, understanding it is a bit above my cognitive capabilities at this moment. Care to summarize what it means to you?

claw,

what do you mean less beer? is there a shortage?
There's never a shortage of beer. Just a shortage of good beer. One benefit of cutting back -- definately not eliminating -- is that my stash of homebrew will have time to get better before I drink it all.

I like the quote from a bicycling forum member I read: "I used to exercise to lose weight. Now I exercise to drink more beer."

I'm suprised and shocked that a certain member who shall remain nameless hasn't mentioned the real Dr. Phil yet. Phil Maffetone has more to say about nutrition than he does about aerobic heart rates ... and his stuff solid, trustworthy.

Reactions: NickW
The protein bars are a good idea. Any recommendations?
Everyone is different, so I can't really recommend anything. There are the ones I use. I found them at the Vitamin Shoppe. They're pricey, but I now order them in bulk online.

Wholly Oats, Peanut Butter: breakfast
Quest Nutrition, various flavors, my low carb days
PowerBar ProteinPlus Chocolate Crisp, my carb days
Flurry Bar 45g, occasional evening snack
Oh Yeah, Peanut Butter Cup, occasional evening snack
Power Crunch, Cookies and Cream, occasional evening snack
Supreme Protein, Peanut Butter Pretzel Twist, occasional evening snack

As for the study, understanding it is a bit above my cognitive capabilities at this moment. Care to summarize what it means to you?
This guy explains it.

Reactions: clawhammer72

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7