New Haven, CT - Labor Day 20K Race Report

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I ran a 20k on labor day, time was 1:43:29. This was my third consecutive year running this race, second time barefoot. The first time I ran it i was shod, and that was the last time i ever wore running shoes.

Last year I ran it 1:33:27, but I was on a mission to beat my shod time, which I accomplished. I didn't really train for this race, in fact I didn't train at all, I ran a 10 miler 3 weeks before the race, I was out to have fun which I did. For the first time I decided to take it slow in the beginning, and see what would happen when I picked it up at the 6 mile mark. By mile 10 I was passing people with ease, it was very humid as well, and felt really strong and refreshed after the race.

There was about 3000 runners and I didn't see one barefoot runner, but I did see "barefoot running" shoes:) In fact some very strange minimal get-ups. I guess saucony has a minimal shoe that looks bizarre. I have ran about 10 barefoot races so far since I started running barefoot two years ago, and Connecticut still has not caught the wave yet. People are still shocked and in awe that I am running barefoot. I usually get some postive remarks, but at yesterdays race it was a bit strange. I had a few runners mock me, and some just sneer remarks, take the good with the bad.

Now back to the minimal runners, now I know why there is so many injuries. Every minimal runner I saw, had terrible form, the pounding was incredible, and frankly they look miserable running. I say forget barefoot running clinics, I think there needs to be minimal clinics.

BG, I definately prefer the

BG, I definately prefer the start out slow method and speed up as I go. Way back when, about 6-7 years ago, when I was in the Army I would run the first mile of my run at about a 6 min pace and then finish a 5 mile run at around a 5 min/mile avg pace. It used to really tick a lot of people off that would start off and pass me but then near the end of the race/run I would fly by them. I think people burn themselves out early by trying to push it hard from the start. Something to be said about patience.

Good job btw BG! To run it only ten minutes slower without even training for it is amazing!

Thanks Nick!    Patience is

Thanks Nick! Patience is the key, after years of doing races I finally can somewhat control myself and the adrenaline without going out to fast. Plus now that I am older I find this to be a better strategy, because if I go out to fast now, I will be shot towards the end. It also is a nice ego boost having that extra energy to pass people towards the end:)

I think the ego boost is what

I think the ego boost is what I like best about saving energy till the end. Now a days, I'm just happy to be running at all even though I am much slower. I hope I will get faster again, but it's ok if I am stuck at my 10min/mile pace too.

I am injured now, so no

I am injured now, so no running for maybe another week. Don't get caught up and worry about speed, it will drive you nuts. Someday out of nowwhere speed will come. Like you said just to run keeps me happy. Being injured puts things into perspective. I came across this saying which I really dig now. "smiles not miles"

Good perspective BG and

Good perspective BG and Nick. I think the slow start is something to work into my race style, too. I'm not 17 anymore, and all hopped up on testosterone. I don't have to run like it. Besides, I really like the idea of a cruisin' strong finish.

I guess I was always taught,

I guess I was always taught, seems a million years ago now, it's better to be the chaser and finish strong than to be the chasee and burnout before you get to the end. It's more rewarding as well because you know that you finished strong and put everything into your run. Whenever I hit a wall while running and burnt myself up to early I would always feel like I let myself down. I don't like that feeling.

BG, I don't worry about speed now too much. I am lucky to be running now and I know it so I will take whatever I can get. Hopefully I will get back some speed, but it's not really that important. After only being able to walk with a cane a few years ago, I truly appreciate just being able to run at all.