Leg muscle ratios

This is just out of interest on my part.

We all know that barefoot running has an effect on the muscles in the feet and can give you arches back again but what about the muscles in the legs.

It would be interesting to have people report on the ratio between the leg muscles measured midway around the upper leg ie the Quads/Hamstrings by the lower leg muscles.

It is said (in Dr Marks video) that barefoot running develops the correct running muscles.

It is too late for me to do the before ratio but the ratio now is 1.24, that is upper leg divided by lower leg. I know my calves have got bigger and the quads are not as big since barefoot running.

so I believe that my ratio would have been bigger before I started barefoot running. Mabye Dr Mark has some statistics?

Neil

Hmmm.. Hadn't thought of the

Hmmm.. Hadn't thought of the before and after (shoes to no shoes) leg muscle ratios- It would be interesting to know. After 5 months of strictly bf running, my calves are bigger than they have ever been. I'm noticing strange new muscle definition that wasn't there running in shoes...

Tom

Neil_D wrote:It is said (in

Neil_D said:
It is said (in Dr Marks video) that barefoot running develops the correct running muscles.

On an seperate topic but related to this comment, I wonder also if one would have to regularly run at different speeds and angles to evenly develop the muscles and have them work efficiently?

Hey Abide,You've come out

Hey Abide,

You've come out from under your disguise ;-)

Running at different speeds would activate different muscle fibres, the white? fast twitch for the sprinting as opposed to the dark slow twitch for the aerobic running that most of us barefoot runner do.

My calves are a lot more defined now where as I think I have lost muscle in the quads. I think my legs were always a bit top heavy. Hopefully they are getting more balanced now.

Neil

I don't have any

I don't have any measurements, but I can tell you with no uncertainty, the hammys and mid to upper quads have become MUCH more pronounced, dense and thick! I was very surprised and was actually just noticing this yesterday. I also noticed in todays race that when I picked up the pace towards the end of the race, I ran very differently than I would have in shoes...sorta low, hips loose, but upper body very still, leaned forward in the hips and smoother. I've also lost 30lbs in the last 4mo!

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7