Ideal running weight?

skedaddle

Barefooters
Sep 3, 2011
Is there a formula for working out your ideal running weight? I know there are B.M.I calculators available, but from what i have read they don’t take into account for the extra muscle weight of an active person.

I am 5ft 10in tall, male, 51years old and weigh 156 pounds.

I have been on a steady diet for the past two years, but have never had a target running weight in mind, i’m just not sure what the healthy numbers are for my above statistics.

Any advice would be great, it’s distance running that interests me, not sure if that needs to be factored into the equation. I think i’m close to where i should be but would like some conformation so i can go an celebrate with a big slice of chocolate cake (Insert Homer Simpson drool here). Thanks

Steve

Steve, I'm not a doctor,

Steve,

I'm not a doctor, but I have read quite a bit on the subject. BMI is not a reliable indicator of healthy weight especially for an active person who has a high muscle mass. Lot's of gymnasts for instance don't score so well in BMI. Measuring your fat percentage is a much more accurate measure and and you can do it with a cheap pare of calipers. I'm about the same height as you, 45 years old, and weigh a little more 160 lbs. My fat percentage is between 10% to 12% depending on how I measure it. Losing weight may not be a good idea if you are losing lean mass.

-Jim

BMI is an antiquated system

BMI is an antiquated system that is hugely inaccurate if you have any muscle to you. When I was in the Army I always had to get taped and calipered because I was to "heavy" for my height. Back then I had like 6-7% bodyfat but because of the BMI calculator it always said I was fat. Caliper is the best way to go imho.

Yeah BMI is really not a

Yeah BMI is really not a great gauge on health. In regards to weight, body fat is the most important number but don't necessarily equate low bodyfat with better health. Sure, someone with 30% of more BF is going to have some health issues, most likely more than someone with 10%, but that's a generalization and BF is only part of an overall number of health and fitness.

Calipers can still be off plus or minus 4%. So if the calipers tell you you're at 15%, you could be at 11%; you could be at 19%. Other methods such as infra-red and electro scanning can be even less accurate. The most accurate measurement for BF is hydrostatic weighing (that's underwater - remaining still and holding your breath - I've done this and it's no fun!) or the more recent BodPods (using pressure - these are high tech devices found at some major universities). BodPods and hydrostatic can be accurate up to 1-2%. (I recently went in one at Duke University. I measured 11.6%. The calipers had me at 9.0%.)

So, what's your ideal running weight? Who cares. And I say that nicely, not to belittle your question, Steve, because it's a great one. Ideal running weight is one where you're running fast, light, smooth, and without any injury or health problem. That's what you should be concerned about. Now, for you numbers geeks out there, a "fit runner" I think should be under 15% for a male and 20% for a female, and probably more towards 12% & 18% respectively, with elite runners going even lower of course. But again, lower doesn't mean healthy.

Thanks Doc, Jim and

Thanks Doc, Jim and Nick

Weight is something i certainly don’t want to obsess about, i have decided to plump for 150 pounds as it’s a nice round figure to keep track of, unlike my not so nice round figure of old.

At my age i’m not out to break any records, but would like to run healthily, and yes give a good account of myself within my age group.

Ske, you don't look a day

Ske, you don't look a day over 8 in that picture! Hee.

Aw thanks TJ, did that avatar

Aw thanks TJ, did that avatar a good few years ago, i now look more like Gandalf with a long white beard. Still 8 at heart though.