how to run with a garmin

I second Jimmy, but with

I second Jimmy, but with extra caveats for the HR strap. I have found the calorie estimates even with the HR strap to be very, very suspect.

As an example, I bike as well and use the bike sensor (and hr monitor). Turns out the only thing Garmin uses to calculate calories on the bike is speed and distance. Not your HR. Not your weight. Not even hills. Seriously.

I'm not sure what Gamin uses when you're running, but I'm not sure the HR figures into it properly. As an example, I did similar runs two days in a row. One I had my footpod (for ~ distance and cadence, in shoes obviously) and HR monitor. On the other run no footpod. The run without the footpod had a wildly higher calorie estimate, higher by something like 15-20%. So clearly, HR alone is not getting me reliable info if it's that different from HR + distance/cadence.

Summary: I do look at calorie estimates, but only for relative/comparitive purposes. Kinda like taking your weight every morning on a scale, but a scale that you know is not accurate. Precise, but not accurate. We're looking for trends, not solid answers. Yes, Garmin may give you calories to with a precision of +/- one calorie, but the accuracy is probably +/- 20%, making the precision totally misleading.

One last word, granted a strongly opinionated one, about HR monitors. I personally feel the HR monitor is the most important bit of technological data to be monitoring (well, maybe cadence if you're shod to ensure you're not heel striking, but we're beyond that, yes?). I find my best training by training at effort over time. Distance is not important. This allows you to control your training well on a flat course or on a hilly course. Who cares how fast you go, or how many miles (for training). HR will ensure you are working hard on your hard days, and keep you honest and easy on your easy days. It will ensure you are doing fat burning runs on the easy days, and really able to do LT workouts (if you believe in such things) properly.

This is an approach long argued by Phil Maffetone (who, by the way, is also a barefoot running proponent). Google "heart rate mark allen" to read the Mark Allen take on Maffetone's HR training method, and then decide if you really want to be training without the HR monitor!

I agree with you Ken.  I

I agree with you Ken. I worked with Polar during those years that I studied and performed gas exchange testing and Polar does use heart rate to calculate the calories. In fact most of their models will allow you to input specific data ranges for your heart rates zones based on the info you get from the testing. It was pretty impressive. I have no idea what Garmin uses to factor calorie burn but like I said, anything that isn't using exact measurements from testing is only going to a ballpark assumption.

I think having an idea of what you are burning is a good idea so you can manage calories so something is better than nothing.

It depends on what you want

It depends on what you want to do with your Garmin. I could care less about the calories I burn or my heart rate. I'm not training for anything, and I'm not trying to improve anything. I rarely wear the thing anymore, and only do when I don't know my route, so I will know how far I've gone, and that's always without the HRM. But that's just me. I'm a lazy but content runner.

Barefoot TJ wrote:It depends

Barefoot TJ said:
It depends on what you want to do with your Garmin. I could care less about the calories I burn or my heart rate. I'm not training for anything, and I'm not trying to improve anything. I rarely wear the thing anymore, and only do when I don't know my route, so I will know how far I've gone, and that's always without the HRM. But that's just me. I'm a lazy but content runner.
I'm the same way. I would rather pay attention to my effort, rather than heart-rate. And calories are something I pay no attention to. But I do like the maps that my Garmin generates, and it's fun to sometimes see how fast I can go on my Garmin. But I'm in no way a slave to speed or distance. Most of my runs are of the type where I head out the door and then run where my feet want to take me, and try to get back before people at home start grumbling about how long I've been gone.

Yea, that's why I wish I

Yea, that's why I wish I would have saved some money and purchased the 205 instead. Ah well.

They could have or have them

They could have or have them that have a beat you can follow, and as long as you follow it to its preset, you will know what your cadence is. ;-)

Barefoot TJ wrote:...the

Barefoot TJ said:
...the iSmooth run app pauses when I stop...

Very cool feature! It would be nice if the Garmins would do this too. Do the newer ones do this?

Yes, the 305 can do this. The feature is called autopause. The default mode is off. You have to turn in on if you want to auotpause.

P. S. I have a new one, if you have the older version you may need to update the software. Check Garmin's site for the latest version.

So I may have had this

So I may have had this feature all along? Depending on the software for the 305?

Barefoot TJ wrote:So I may

Barefoot TJ said:
So I may have had this feature all along? Depending on the software for the 305?

Yes, I do not know if it is a new feature or not. If you still have your manual I would check it. If not, go to your settings screens and scroll through looking for autopause.

THANKS!

THANKS!

Barefoot TJ wrote:I couldn't

Barefoot TJ said:
I couldn't get used to wearing the strap either, but if you did, you would have a better idea of how many watts/calories you are burning.

...the iSmooth run app pauses when I stop...

Very cool feature! It would be nice if the Garmins would do this too. Do the newer ones do this?

The garmin 305 does have the auto pause...

Thanks!  That's what I have,

Thanks! That's what I have, so I will have to work on that setting.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7