Ground Densities

JEFF CT

Chapter Presidents
Jul 15, 2013
CT USA
Hey. One argument that I hear from shoe-wearers (im not 100% bf yet) is that modern man-made concrete and asphalt are too hard and we did not evolve to handle it.

I recently read a rebuttal that packed desert sands that Geronimo crossed, and solid rock were as if not more dense than modern pathways. I was looking for hard data, and here is what I compiled. I think it makes the case for several materials being similar in density.

Concrete, Asphalt 2243
Concrete, Gravel 2403

Rubber, manufactured 1522

Earth, dense 2002
Gravel, wet 1/4 to 2 inch 2002
Limestone, solid 2611
Quartz, solid 2643
Sand, wet 1922
Sand, wet, packed 2082
Sand, dry 1602

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm

Reactions: Sly and Bare Lee
ask them when we evolved to wear shoes then? people don't tend to think their thoughts through before saying them.

a harder surface is easier to run on, especially bf. heel strikers suffer from running, period.

think simple physics. if you have a super ball you can bounce it over a house off the concrete. bounce it in the dirt and it barely comes off the ground. it takes more energy to come off of soft ground than hard.

heel strikers will also tell you it's natural and you shouldn't land forefoot. ask them to run in place and see how natural heel striking is.

Some have suggested that natural terrain has more variability, which may reduce the risk of repetitive motion injury.
lowerextremityreview.com/cover_story/the-truth-about-barefoot-running-its-complicated

Also, several studies indicate that the unshod have more flexible feet. This may also be a factor.
Dr. Stoxen has some really good videos.
teamdoctorsblog.com/video-tutorial-lessons/

Repetitive motion over use is the biggest problem with pavement running as I see it. Rough pavement is better than smooth for that...really smooth pavement promotes over use in newbie barefooters....a variety of running surfaces is ideal.

Yeah, since I run barefoot, I feel bouncier than ever before in my life :cool:.
That was the case for me. I felt springier after I had done it awhile.

Now that I am inactive, I've become an old woman.

Repetitive motion over use is the biggest problem with pavement running as I see it. Rough pavement is better than smooth for that...really smooth pavement promotes over use in newbie barefooters....a variety of running surfaces is ideal.

"Repetitive motion over use is the biggest problem with pavement running as I see it."

That is so true for shod runners.

I happen to believe the opposite is true for new and veteran barefoot runners.

I think that by finding a nice, flat, clean patch of pavement (chip n seal is okay too) is the best way to teach through repetition how to step and how to place your weight over your step. Having new barefoot runners start out on surfaces like gravel could very well scare them away from barefoot running altogether.

I agree that ALL surfaces should be used when first starting out and then to keep ourselves fresh for anything that we may encounter.

We really don't have too many new barefoot runners complaining of overuse injuries or overdoing it. Those complaints come more from the new minshoe crowd. Shoes mask capability; barefoot exposes vulnerability.

Reactions: Bare Lee
"Repetitive motion over use is the biggest problem with pavement running as I see it."

That is so true for shod runners.

I happen to believe the opposite is true for new and veteran barefoot runners.

I think that by finding a nice, flat, clean patch of pavement (chip n seal is okay too) is the best way to teach through repetition how to step and how to place your weight over your step. Having new barefoot runners start out on surfaces like gravel could very well scare them away from barefoot running altogether.

I agree that ALL surfaces should be used when first starting out and then to keep ourselves fresh for anything that we may encounter.

We really don't have too many new barefoot runners complaining of overuse injuries or overdoing it. Those complaints come more from the new minshoe crowd. Shoes mask capability; barefoot exposes vulnerability.

Well said...there should always be a mix of surfaces newbie or veteran barefooter alike its just a matter of finding the right mix.

You will never be an old women either...I think you have too many Hippie tendencies for that to happen!

:oldman: We don't have an old woman smiley, but this one will do.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7