Gravel, the unappreciated barefoot running surface

I ran the towpaths by the

I ran the towpaths by the Delaware near Princeton for my first 4 months of BFR, before getting a pair of Vibram Bikailas for my upcoming trail race. By the time I was finished getting used to the Vibrams and done with the race, my feet were deeply reverted to wimpy softness and took almost 2 weeks to get right with the towpaths' gravel/crushed stone/packed dirt surfaces. I've recently started back on the towpaths just to experience the joy of gravel. It's the best, I agree, to fine tune form. It's also just fine for keeping my mind right on the moment of running.

For anyone in south Jersey, I highly recommend the Delaware and Raritan Canal towpaths and on the PA side of the Delaware, I've found the Delaware River Towpath Park above Yardley to be lovely - it's the fine crushed redstone kind which is nicer than the crushed dolomitic limestone that's common across the river in NJ.

I am a newbie and still

I am a newbie and still "challenged" by gravel. I'm pretty comfortable going barefoot on pavement. Where I live (western MA), there are both asphalt and dirt roads, and the dirt roads are mostly hard-packed dirt with scattered gravel on top. To date, I've been switching to VFF's when I encounter this surface and switching back to barefoot when I regain the asphalt.

Are there some techniques for learning to run barefoot on this kind of surface? Just take off the shoes and go for it?

I feel like I could avoid some of the individual pieces of gravel, but then my head would be looking down the whole time and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the scenery...

I ran my newly discovered

I ran my newly discovered towpath along the Delaware (north of New Hope) and found it good again. It's just about the perfect gravel - fine and consistant, mostly. I came to a point where it reverted to crushed stone scattered on a hard substrate and came crashing to a halt. No way was I going to subject my feet to that! It was an interesting run, too, in that it was a day of flooding and I had to run through 2 areas where the trail was under water and I went up to my knees crossing them. The river was rocking along, too.

@Chuck - Slow and steady is how you do it. Every one of us here is somewhere on the path to gravel-competence. Last year at this time I had been running strictly BF for 4 months, around 20 m/w. I remember that I was scared of acorns and thought that nobody could step on them without hating it. Now they just go crunch. I'm still not up to "crunching" Black Walnuts.

Good luck!.......btw, I had a wonderful run near Lenox on my summer holiday there. What great country! With some practice you might be able to run some of the AT!

I am running a Half Marathon

I am running a Half Marathon this weekend which is almost entirely gravel roads, last year I ran the Full Marathon of this race and finished 18 miles of the 26.2 miles barefoot. I really like the challenge of the gravel roads, plus who can pass up the free pedicure and foot massage. ;-)

Like JT said, it's a

Like JT said, it's a challenge to all of us, depending on what "kind"of gravel we're dealing with.

Just bend those knees and step lightly!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon