? For the Docs.... Right foot

otoole4info

Barefooters
Feb 3, 2013
Waverly, NY
Yesterday I completed my first 1/2 marathon completely barefoot. I'm not where I feel I should have been in my training to do it barefoot, but that's on me.

All in all I feel great, except a little discomfort in my right foot. It's in the area of where the metas meet the tarsals I believe. There is and was only minor swelling, no bruising and in more on top of the foot, but within..... hopefully that makes sense.

Here is a photo to help pinpoint the area, starts in the area of the 5th and goes to the 2nd or 3rd......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361794192.225179.jpg

Quite likely the tibialis anterior had tightened and you have tendonitis. Foam roll over the front of the shin gently and see it it relieves. Most commonly, peoples form will degenerate toward the end of a race due to endurance, body style, etc. Barefoot changes the way you hit the ground, but it does not modify your body mechanics.

See if the foam roller works, if not, see a good sports chiropractor. Most likely, you will feel better over a few days

Reactions: Sid and otoole4info
Update, Wednesday I has absolutely no pain in the right foot, although the left flared up along the outside 5th meta area where it meets the tarsal, now both feet have similar annoyance in the same area, outside 5th on both. More noticeable when bearing weight or made to wear footwear.

After race stress/bruising/over use issue?

I'm giving myself as much R&R as possible.