chapter interface

stomper

Over in a chapter forum, SF_Jackson wrote:

SF_Jackson said:
no_avatar_grey.png
Posted on Mon, 08/08/2011 - 11:25 AM GMT by SF_jackson
I think the idea of organizing an SF chapter of the BRS is great.

However, the current implementation of the website leaves a lot to be desired in the way of clarity and simplicity of organization. What use are posts about Lodi and Stockton, CA, appearing under a San Francisco chapter heading?

The presentation of the article titles / entries etc. is also confusing and in my opinion verges on unreadable.

I hope that someone will take steps to simplify and clarify the interface, perhaps if necessary migrate the SF chapter to an entirely new website, as the current organization of the BRS site in general seems far too underpowered to successfully serve as a gathering point for multiple state and local chapters of the BRS.

I copied this to the Site Help forum for reference.

I think basically what is happening these days is that the site is getting enough use that ALL of the features are being tested in a much heavier way than before, and the users have higher expectations for usability than before. In short, they expect this to be a fully professional site. But we do not have a fully professional budget. This might be the time for that awareness and fundraising campaign, TJ?

The awareness part is letting people know that the BRS is more than a website, it's a club that does stuff for its memebers, and it needs a little bit of cash to make it work. The fundraising part should make clear the financial needs to make the site fully professional. I think if we are totally honest members will respond.

now, off to the woods for a week. ! stomper

SF_Jackson, I find it

SF_Jackson, I find it interesting that you bring up supposed issues with the BRS/BRS's website, a running club for barefoot and minimalist runners, considering you just joined yesterday.

After much deliberation and discussion the founding members and others, specifically in California, decided that the best way to name the chapters was by the largest, well-known city in a particular area. Seriously, having a Lodi or Stockton Chapter will not bring much in the way of membership or communication. I proposed adding the word Area on the end of the chapter names, those that were divided from their states as growth dictated, to indicate that the chapter encompassed much more than a single city. Others felt it not necessary. Does the term "Area" help you to feel that the group is larger than just a single city?

"The presentation of the article titles / entries etc. is also confusing and in my opinion verges on unreadable." How so? Give an example of what you don't understand.

"I hope that someone will take steps to simplify and clarify the interface." The interface cannot be made any simpler. What needs to be clarified exactly?

"perhaps if necessary migrate the SF chapter to an entirely new website" What website, what interface, how specifically different from what we have, who will manage it, who will pay for it? The San Francisco Chapter is an active chapter, but not overly active, meaning, it doesn't warrant it's own website. I would prefer to see the various countries receive their own websites far before the various U.S. states. That would make more sense. But first, we have to grow those countries.

"as the current organization of the BRS site in general seems far too underpowered to successfully serve as a gathering point for multiple state and local chapters of the BRS." How so? Again, be specific? How is the site underpowered? How is it not handling the task of organizing chapters and their meetups?

Be specific. Tell me exactly how you think this should go down. Again, this is an all-volunteer organization. What little funding we get from donations, advertisements, and tee shirt sales allow us to keep the doors open. How would you like to help out your club? What sacrifices are you willing to make to contribute? We have lots of positions available at the BRS. Which one/s would you like to fill? Perhaps a donation?

Stomper, all of that is outlined in the fundraising pages Paleo and I have created. The fundraising campaign will have to take place after we have migrated to a VPS, sometime around September 1.

Remember the old commercial,

Remember the old commercial, "I don't wanna pay alot for a muffler"?

In my mind BF running is way cool because we do more with less. A quick read of the fanny pack thread and others conveys this well. TJ and Stomper, thanks for the work you do - the site is just fine the way it is.

CHALLENGE: I read SF_Jackson's comment, DONATED $50 TO THE BRS, and only then did I come back to post my own comment.

TAKE 2 MINUTES AND GIVE A FEW BUCKS TO SUPPORT THIS GREAT RESOURCE. 14 PEOPLE HAVE READ THIS, FORUM POST. HAVE YOU DONATED???????

Thank you, Sara!  You rock! 

Thank you, Sara! You rock! You are so much appreciated.

I really hope people understand that this club is just that. A club. We are not some high-priced, high-rolling corporation who is being paid heavily for endorsements or advertising, and so therefore they think they should expect the best of the best. (Besides, the best of the best have their flaws as well.) We are a group of all-volunteers and somehow managing to MAKE IT HAPPEN with what little we have. We have grown to be THE largerst barefoot and minimalist running club in the world. We are accomplishing our mission. We are uniting barefoot and minimalist runners from around the globe through many resources at no charge to them. We are promoting barefoot running around the world and at race events as a competitive sport. We are educating the running public on the health benefits of barefoot and minimalist running. We are dispelling the myths associated with our type of running. And we are changing the running world one odd look at a time. ;-) And we are doing all this on mere dollars, thanks to folks like you.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon