Big clearout

Just been on a mission to create a bit of space at home and came across a few years worth of Running Magazine from the mid 1980's, a UK publication. They would be going out of the door one way or another.

Before being thrown out I had one last nostalgic flick through them to see what had changed over the years.

Well, apparently not much. The magazines contained page after page of injury advice, race reports and every other page was an ad. for running shoes. It was the it occurred to me that back then I didn't stand a chance when up against the sales and marketing departments of the running shoe companies. I started reading some of the ads and relised they were plain nonsense wrapped up in pseudo science.

I have read many arguments against barefoot running, most of them saying that there is no 'scientific' evidence that barefoot running prevents injuries. Where were these same critics I wonder when the running shoe companies were spouting marketing claptrap in the running magazines saying their shoes were scientifically designed to prevent injury, where was the proof. The answer is: there wasn't any proof as all of the ads were from the marketing department.

It actually made me feel quite angry, I believe that we have all been led astray by their need to sell product. What should have happend is that, if while running in a running shoe that was said to prevent injury and you got injured, the shoes should have been sent back to the company for a refund for not living up to their stated purpose, in effect they were defective products. What most of us will have done though is blame ourselves.

As a lesson then, when you read articles on running in magazines or online always ask yourself, what are they trying to sell me. At least with barefoot running I know if I get injuried I know where the blame lies (with myself, I thought I better put that in as I realise how litigious people are in the USA ;-) )

Neil

PS TJ let me know if you want any of the scans of some of the interesting articles and ads I made before my big clear out.

hey Neil, BRS Librarian

hey Neil, BRS Librarian here. I'd love to see some of the old scans out of academic interest. But don't make any more work for yourself. PM me for my email address. Thanks!

Thank you, Stomper & Neil. 

Thank you, Stomper & Neil. Yes, that would be great.

I too am ticked off at the shoe companies and marketing companies for making me think all those years that I was the defective one, that I just needed a different type of shoe, a different brand of shoe. If I had known better, I could have ditched the shoes entirely and begun to heal much sooner and minimized the damage to my feet, damage I now will have to live with for the rest of my life. Now, do you see why we like to sue here in the US, Neil? I've never sued anyone, but I sure feel like it now!

I can only imagine the pain

I can only imagine the pain and the heartache that some of you are going through..for I am 24 and know that my deformed toes will realign themselves eventually in the coming years. And just last night as I was brushing my teeth, I was wondering if my feet will ever be 100%. My toes keep cracking and popping as they realign themselves back to their natural position.

But If I was 34...man..I can't imagine how much damage would have been done. I feel for you TJ and all the others out there.

Hi Joe,You are lucky that

Hi Joe,

You are lucky that you have discovered about the marketing hype at an earlier age. I think we were all a lot more naive to it 25 years ago. I'm 48 now and been out of shoes for under 2 years which is just a short blip in my running life (been running from around 15).

As has been said before it should be up to the sellers of products and services to prove what they say they will do is correct not for us to prove why barefoot running is better. Barefoot running is the baseline. If you run with the correct barefoot technique there should be no need for artificial intervention.

I don't see doctors telling Tiger Woods to use corrective devices on his arms to improve his game, he learns techniques that help him improve why would running be any different?

Hi John, I have also come across a few people in the "no poo" world. I think you may be right. We wash all the oils out of our hair then use conditioner to put them back in, go figure! we'll sell you 2 products instead of 1.

Neil

stjohnthegambler wrote:Not to

stjohnthegambler said:
Not to sound like a super-Marxist but, welcome to capitalism. We are 'sold' a lot of 'thneeds' (to quote Dr. Suess). For example, I've joined the 'no poo' movement, not using shampoo at all, and my hair is fine.

I fully support that movement--since my significant other switched, her hair has been that much more luscious-- but man, it really needs a new name.

Buncha hippies! No shoes does

Buncha hippies! No shoes does not need to mean no bathing! Take a shower and use soap! You are losing your minds!

;)

Nyal, watch out cuz your

Nyal, watch out cuz your next. it happened to me too.

Neil - Interesting find!  I

Neil - Interesting find! I always love looking back through old magazines to see how things have changed. Sad that the shoe industry hasn't changed much though. :~

ROFLMAO, Nyal!

My husband has started calling me a hippie girl because I rarely wear shoes (and I can get away with sandals or VFFs at work), I've switched to paleo and grass-fed beef, and only real food. He said he's drawing the line when I stop shaving my armpits though. :p

I'm curious about the "no poo" movement; I'll have to google that cuz I'm pretty sure my shampoo just dries out my hair - despite the fact that I have curly hair and it's naturally pretty dry.

hmduey wrote:My husband has

hmduey said:
My husband has started calling me a hippie girl because I rarely wear shoes (and I can get away with sandals or VFFs at work), I've switched to paleo and grass-fed beef, and only real food. He said he's drawing the line when I stop shaving my armpits though. :p I'm curious about the "no poo" movement; I'll have to google that cuz I'm pretty sure my shampoo just dries out my hair - despite the fact that I have curly hair and it's naturally pretty dry.

Skipping the shampoo can make hair on the head a lot silkier. But that doesn't mean hair is a good idea everywhere else (or anywhere else?). I know at least one person who has piled her savings from shampoo into trips to the waxing salon, and seems to be quite satisfied with the results. ;)

Stomper, LOL.  Yeah, I doubt

Stomper, LOL. Yeah, I doubt I'll take the hippie thing that far. There's something about being all girly and smooth that is nice; I can't seem to get past being prickly (as in, needing a shave) at all so losing the razor (or wax, or whatever hair removal system someone chooses) is probably not going to happen in my case!

** not that I'm a girly girl or anything, because I'm SO not :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7