Any experience with Altra shoes?

fetish4running

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
I finally broke down and ordered some Eves directly from Altra. They were having a sale and they have free shipping & returns, so I figured, "why not?" To make a long story short, their customer service has been absolutely horrible! Two weeks later, I still don't have a pair of shoes that fit and they won't help me! Has anyone else had this trouble? When I call, I have to wait on hold FOREVER and then they give me the same run-around story about how they're "ready to ship" and it'll be any time now. I don't know what to do.

Do NOT order from this company!!!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem. I am not affiliated with this company at all but I do have a pair of the Adams. I was able to try mine on locally though so I never had the problem you are having. I believe that Jimmy does something for them, but I don't know if there is anything he could do to help. Are you saying two weeks after the initial order? That's really not a lot of time when you think about processing the order, shipping both ways, and twice back. Most shoe companies also have to wait till they receive the returned shoes before the replacement shoes can be shipped out, which can take a few days after receipt because they have to get restocked, credited, a new work order produced, and then back out to the warehouse to get pulled and shipped. This all takes time unfortunately. Good luck and hopefully you get the replacements soon.

8 days ago, I called to get an RMA (and really...who does that anymore?) and the rep surprised me by saying they would ship out my exchange pair immediately since UPS would pick up the smaller size. I was like, "wow. what great customer service! you mean, you aren't going to wait to get the pair that I have now?" She said the new pair would go out immediately. That was 8 days ago and they still haven't even shipped. My biggest gripe, though, is that no one will admit that they are waiting for the original pair to come back. Every one I've talked to says they are going to ship right away. I hate being deceived. Just tell me up front how it's going to be and I may not like it, but I'm a big girl and can handle it. Lie to me, and I go all crazy!

Ya I get that. I don't like to be lied to either. If you have bad news to tell me thats fine, just don't lie about it. I totally get where you are coming from on that. There's a reason I boycott Invisible Shoes now and it goes right along with this philosophy.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I like the Altra shoes that I have, but I bought them at a running store where I could try them on. Most stores honor, or get close to, an online special. Perhaps Altra has been caught off guard by the number of their orders (I know that the release of the Samsons were delayed), and their customer service has been affected. Hope you get your order soon.

I hope you get the shoes soon. I have a pair of the Samsons and I'm very impressed with them. I'm just really annoyed they can't be got hold of easily in the UK.

I caused a bit of a ruckus yesterday with calls. I did some digging and found one of the founders on facebook and messaged him about Altra's crappy customer service. I also wrote on Altra's "wall" about my lack of happiness. Needless to say, it appears as though they've shipped! I really hope they fit!!!

The founders are really nice guys, I have met them several times. One was a member on here for a while.
I hope your Eves fit too. I am having a little trouble with the Samson where the tongue is attached. There is some rough stitching there that rubs the top of my foot. They are going to sit on my shelf this summer or I'll stick them in my car for a backup. I am thinking the Adams might have been a better choice.

The founders are really nice guys, I have met them several times. One was a member on here for a while.
I hope your Eves fit too. I am having a little trouble with the Samson where the tongue is attached. There is some rough stitching there that rubs the top of my foot. They are going to sit on my shelf this summer or I'll stick them in my car for a backup. I am thinking the Adams might have been a better choice.

That's a bit of a pain in the neck, can you trim it yourself? I remember the Merrell Trail Gloves needed some trimming of the liner to stop them blistering my feet.

I was able to trim a little. I was even thinking about pulling the tongue out completely and making them a classic Altra (like the VFF classic), but I thought that would be too extreme. Over time, I am sure they will break in and become more comfortable. Not going to use them for running because of my recent commitment (unshod as much as possible and Unshoes sandals when I have to have something on).

I've run a bunch in Adams on road over the winter and some in Samsons on road and trail this Spring. I like them both, though I prefer the Adams for ground feel, I can't speak for their customer service but I will agree with Rick that the folk who founded the company are very nice and truly sincere about wanting to improve the general level of running form.

They were just taken over by a much bigger company and you might have experienced some of their growing pains.

Love my Instincts and will be buying another pair soon. I bought from The Natural Running Store as Altra wouldn't ship to Australia so I can't comment on their customer service except to say I wish they did ship to Australia. Would like to try the Samsons.

Reactions: Jimmy Hart
I'm a bit late to this one but it looks like things got worked out. If not let me know and I'll help you out on it. The truth is that as a company Altra has been a little overwhelmed by the public reception. Things were under control and the customer service was great until the new models like Samson came out and you guys went crazy for them. While that is a great thing and we loved it the response to it all was a bit tough to keep up with. The issues have since been worked out it appears that the customer service level is back to running at the level that should be expected.

Also to answer the other issue of not being honest. The intent was to have your new pair shipped out immediately without having the other pair in hand first. The belief is that it is better for you to have your shoes and be happy than for us to worry about making you wait for a pair to come back to the warehouse. The delay on your situation was no doubt due to the issues that arose with the flood of ordering that came with the release of the new models but that still is not an acceptable excuse, just the reason.

Love my Instincts and will be buying another pair soon. I bought from The Natural Running Store as Altra wouldn't ship to Australia so I can't comment on their customer service except to say I wish they did ship to Australia. Would like to try the Samsons.

Whereabouts in Oz are you?

That looks like it's just near a national park?

I'm arriving in Sydney at about 5am next Sunday, not starting work until Tuesday (should have been Monday, but the client forgot about the bank holiday). I'll be staying in Mascot. Fancy a meet up for a run?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon