After E25K should I start over with more speed?

PatrickGSR94

Barefooters
Dec 9, 2011
I was thinking, whenever I get to the point of running 30 minutes (the goal of C25K and E25K), should I start back over from the beginning of the program and try to run faster? At this point if I run 30 minutes it still won't be a 5K since I'm running so slow. But it seems like starting back at the beginning might be a good way to transition to faster running.

Thoughts?

I generally agree with Mark. When you are able to run 30 minutes, you can consider that a base. You could do intervals within it, as Mark suggested, do the whole thing at a slightly faster pace, or do more distance/time at the same pace in order to get up to your goal of 5K. Either way, you will become faster over time, it just depends on your immediate goals: distance or pace?

Over the last few months I've introduced variety into my 3-4 weekly runs, and you might consider something like this too:
1 day, steady pace--road or trail;
1 day, hill repeats (great for building powerful glutes);
1 day fartleks, at a variety of faster paces with walking breaks (these are like intervals but without a strict time or distance--I decide what pace to run and then run until I can't maintain it, walk until I've recovered, and then decide what pace to do next).
If I run a fourth time in a week, I do another steady-paced run.
I'm really digging the mix.

Actually I could start over with E25K, but instead of walk, do my slower run pace. Then when it says "run" do the faster run pace. Sound good?

Word of caution here: speed too early in a training program can get someone injured. Be VERY conservative and resist the urge to push. The act of going out for a run is a great success every time you do it. You have years ahead of you to edge up your times. I can hardly emphasize enough how much building your body has to do before it's really going to be strong and resiliant. Take it easier than you're comfortable with and you'll be happier in the long run.

Oh, yeah. If you're 22 years old and weigh 140 pounds, never mind.

Lol no, 32 and 193 as of yesterday. If I start back over, the faster runs would be a mere 30-45 seconds to start out, with 2-3 minute slower running intervals.

It's taken me 6 months to get to week 6. Hopefully it won't take much longer to finish and run 30 minutes, and then starting back over with faster runs would still be quite gradual. Hopefully not another 6-8 months but gradual just the same, if I had to make a prediction.

I'll just add my vote to JosephTree's note of caution. It's not the duration of the speedwork that's the issue as much as its moment-to-moment intensity: it's much more taxing on the bones, tendons and muscles. The heart and lungs adapt much more quickly to a new exercise regimen than do the structural components of the skeleton and muscles. I started pushing faster during my first year, and I got injured. It took a while; at first I thought I was invincible and could ignore the cautionary advice I was reading. But about 3 months into my "trying to get faster" regimen, I got hurt.

What I did after recovering (which took a full 3 months) was to instead ramp up my long slow distance. I just extended one run a week by about 10% each time. That meant that my 30-minute run on the weekend became 33 minutes one week, then 37 the next, and so on, week by week, whenever I felt ready to notch it up. Eventually I was up to 10-12k. I didn't try to run any faster. But gradually I discovered that my natural, comfortable pace was getting considerably faster. Faster running was a side effect of building a good aerobic base. But I that wasn't my aim, so I wasn't pushing myself. Naturally and incrementally my "easy" pace became more of a moderate mainstream pace.

And I stayed injury-free.

So my recommendation would be hang tight in the last week of E25k, but turn one of the runs each week into a longer and longer slow run. Speed will come in good time, on its own. Actual speed workouts and intervals should wait until you're at least a year into your running routine.

Miranda

My form seems to get a little better if I do a bit of speed work here and there.
Instead of starting all over, why not just portion out a small bit of your run where you push your speed a bit for a few minutes, then back down to where you usually are?

My form seems to get a little better if I do a bit of speed work here and there.
Instead of starting all over, why not just portion out a small bit of your run where you push your speed a bit for a few minutes, then back down to where you usually are?
I find this to be true too; even shaving just 30-60 seconds off my mile time my form feels noticeably better. Like scedastic says, work in a little faster run for a few minutes, see how you feel, maybe try some hills, and pull back at the first sign of trouble, rest, repeat. If you have a good sense of your own body, you'll be fine, if you don't then yes, set rules may be helpful guidelines for avoiding injury and building up gradually. Getting into, and staying in, shape, is a lifetime project, so there's no hurry.

Well last Wednesday I went out to do Week 6 Day 2, which is 20 minutes running. I stopped to walk after only 13 minutes. But then a couple minutes after that I tried running faster, much too fast I think. I only went about 100 yards but ended up with fiery soreness in my upper right calf muscle for several days after that.

Well last Wednesday I went out to do Week 6 Day 2, which is 20 minutes running. I stopped to walk after only 13 minutes. But then a couple minutes after that I tried running faster, much too fast I think. I only went about 100 yards but ended up with fiery soreness in my upper right calf muscle for several days after that.
Next time maybe just try running a little bit faster than your normal pace. I've been working on running faster too, but I haven't yet tried a full on sprint yet. I'm being very cautious, varying now between 10mm and 7mm. The impact forces increase quite a bit the faster you go.

To add to what JT said, be very cautious with focusing on going fast. At this point it should not be your goal. Your goal should be (IMO) to get a running base established that you can work from. If you're able to run 30 minutes non-stop, you should feel very good about that. Most people can't. Work off of that. Slowly work your mileage up over time. If you're running say 10 miles/week now, slowly work your way up to 20/miles per week over a 3-4 months. Concentrate on form.....get smoother, and lighter on your feet. If your body feels great, you're doing it right. If something starts to ache, slow down. When you're mileage gets up in the 25-30 miles per week, then start adding a bit of speed work (moderate at first) on one run a week.....on a week when you are NOT adding any increase in mileage.

Keep in mind, hill running is kind of like speed work in disguise.

Enjoy your runs. Enjoy the fact you are healthy and running, and don't worry so much about artificial goals like having to run at a certain pace, or run a certain distance on a particular day. That will all come with time perhaps......and if not, you're healthy, fit, and enjoying one of lifes true simple pleasures.

To add to what JT said, be very cautious with focusing on going fast. At this point it should not be your goal. Your goal should be (IMO) to get a running base established that you can work from. If you're able to run 30 minutes non-stop, you should feel very good about that. Most people can't. Work off of that. Slowly work your mileage up over time. If you're running say 10 miles/week now, slowly work your way up to 20/miles per week over a 3-4 months. Concentrate on form.....get smoother, and lighter on your feet. If your body feels great, you're doing it right. If something starts to ache, slow down. When you're mileage gets up in the 25-30 miles per week, then start adding a bit of speed work (moderate at first) on one run a week.....on a week when you are NOT adding any increase in mileage.

Keep in mind, hill running is kind of like speed work in disguise.

Enjoy your runs. Enjoy the fact you are healthy and running, and don't worry so much about artificial goals like having to run at a certain pace, or run a certain distance on a particular day. That will all come with time perhaps......and if not, you're healthy, fit, and enjoying one of lifes true simple pleasures.

Good reminders for us all.

Doubt I'll ever get higher than 10 mpw, as I'm cycling more than running right now.