Zion Traverse

Wow thanks for that link I really want to run them all Zion, GC and Monument Valley. I bet you the GC run is up on the north rim too.

And we will definitely do our best to make it up there as soon as we can.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
As for footwear in the narrows, I don't know, I don't have any river hiking experience shod or barefoot. The slippery rocks is a valid point, but with caution and trekking poles, I believe barefoot would be fine. The smashed toes and ankle rolling, not likely. If rocks are rolling around because of the current, then it is too fast to be hiking in. In my opinion, hiking boots would cause more rocks to become dislodged to roll onto your foot.

Old thread, but I'll comment because I have hiked in the Narrows a lot. Barefoot, VFFs, huaraches, Trail Gloves, light hikers. The slipping on rocks leading to a toe smash is an issue for me because of the current, poor visibility, and polished volcanic boulders and cobbles. Think greased bowling balls. If I'm going to make any time at all, I need a somewhat stiff rubber sole and a decent toe box. Trail Gloves or light hikers, ideally with stick rubber, would be my choice. Barefoot was slow, but it sucked. Huaraches were worse. VFFs were not much better, but mine are one of the the thin and flexible models, Sprints. The thick stiff soled models should work better, but I wouldn't go there, personally. I've done Angels Landing, much of the East and West Rim Trails, the Subway, South Guardian Angel, all of the easy tourist hikes, etc all barefoot. Zion is a barefoot-friendly park to the point where I stopped carrying back up footwear. But not in the Narrows. Just be very careful on exposed slickrock, skin has no where near the traction of rubber and I've noticed that there isn't much warning before my feet cut loose. I never use the chains on Angels Landing except when I'm barefoot, when I'm really glad they're there ...

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11

Latest posts