Zensah Compression Running Leg Sleeve Review

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
First off, I must start my review with my very first impression of Zensah. My correspondence with representative Suzanne K. was pleasant; sincere, informative, prompt responses and a comfortable level professionalism. I find good customer service to play a very important roll in my buying experience, and give my thumbs up in Zensah's regard.
Secondly, their online site www.zensah.com, is clean and streamline, and user friendly for shopping or browsing.
Thirdly, though certainly not leastly, the product. I received my pair of black S/M Running Leg Sleeves a week ago and have worn them on several occasions testing them out both during and after runs, Zumba and Belly Dance Fitness. My first impression of the leg sleeves was the quality of the fabric, the construction was uniquely patterned to support the different areas of the calf (shin and posterior calf muscle), fabric was durable yet soft and conducive to extended wear (I wore them for 4 hours the first day and experienced no discomfort while wearing them, nor after).
My first wear was after a day of a decent amount of physical activity (a 5mi barefoot run and an hour of Zumba, followed by a few hours of yard work with the kiddos), resulting in slightly achy calves. I slid the sleeves over my calves and immediately felt great support in my posterior calf (I don't tend to get shin splints so can't speak from that standpoint, though as a barefoot runner, dancer and dance fitness instructor I do experience occasional achy calf muscles).

My second experience was during a 5mi barefoot run earlier this week (45 degrees F, my coldest barefoot run as of yet) and to my surprise, my feet didn't experience the shock of the cold as much as they did during this morning's (45 degree) barefoot run (sans the leg sleeves). I'm not sure if this is related indirectly to the amount supported blood flow from lower extremities (feet/ankles/calves), though my feet appeared to stay warmer as a result of wearing the leg sleeves. I'll be testing this theory out again over the course of a few more runs with and without Zensah in varying temperatures, before making a solid assumption regarding this.

My third experience was during and after a Zumba class, with the level of impact I bring to my Zumba classes bringing the class up onto the balls of their feet, jumping, pivoting etc; my calves are typically aching for a good massage. I found that, the aching post Zumba wasn't as prominent or prolonged after having worn the leg sleeves. I will continue to wear the sleeves during class, again to make a more accurate assumption regarding their effectiveness on post Zumba calf aches.
Overall, my experience (as a barefoot runner, merchandise coordinator and reviewer for the Barefoot Runners Society and Zumba instructor) with Zensah Running Leg Sleeves was positive. I would recommend them (along with a good look and/or reevaluation of proper form, hydration and stretching post run/workout) to those looking to minimize shin and calf pain related to running, dancing, exercise.

Hmmm, between you, LPJ,

Hmmm, between you, LPJ, jscott, and shelbell all giving thumbs up, I might just have to get a pair! Besides, it's starting to cool off here a little -- did you find they provided much warmth?

I'd recommend them Art, and

I'd recommend them Art, and from my experience my feet actually seemed to keep warmer oddly enough, will have to test this out a bit more to know for sure. They are thermo regulating to the compression products are meant to help regulate body temperature. My calves are a place I rarely feel the cold, so can't say one way or another that they were good for keeping my calves warm on a run. Though I did find it interesting that my feet seemed to warm up faster on a run (wearing the sleeves) than on a similar route run not wearing them (same temp outside).

I have been wearing my

I have been wearing my Saucony calf sleeves for a week or so, and they're pretty fantastic. I was having calf issues (other thread!) and bought a pair, and they saw me through an 18 miler today. You can't really feel them, except that they feel good. And they are a bit warmer but very breathable. Glad you like yours too! :)

Glad to hear you are having

Glad to hear you are having better luck on your runs Chick, I'm beginning to think the sleeves are a nice compliment to a barefooter's wardrobe ;) Not a MUST but nice to have

I've put up an ad for the

I've put up an ad for the Zensah sleeves (until we can get a direct ad from them), so if you guys are thinking about ordering a pair, please do through our ad, since every puchase goes toward funding your club.

I love my Zensah calf

I love my Zensah calf sleeves and I also like my CEP sleeves too. The CEP are tighter on me and I like those better but I alternate between the two. The fabric on the Zensah sleeves are amazing.

I also have the arm sleeves and they are great for UV protection and for temp regulation!

What's the purpose of

What's the purpose of compression sleeve? Won't your muscles get weaker if you wear support all the time?

Or is it something you wear only on a race to improve your performances?

I think sleeves would be nice in the winter to keep the legs warm but I'm afraid of getting dependant on them.

Can you, experienced runners, enlighten me?

Can't say I'm an experienced

Can't say I'm an experienced runner but I know the theories behind compression. What compression gear does is increase the blood pressure in the compressed area and this supposedly helps remove waste faster. Also, the muscle support aspect means the muscles can use more of their capacity to propel you forward instead of limiting "bounce".

You know, I have also

You know, I have also wondered if now my legs will "depend" on the compression sleeves. Hmm. But it's the recovery that sold me on it, not the during the run performance! I recovered so much faster from an 18 miler than usual after wearing the sleeves on the run. There really must be something to the blood flow claim.

The science behind

The science behind compression www.zensah.com/scbeco.html

I don't think that one would have to rely on compression wear, it's just another bit of "weaponry" to carry in the arsenal. Us what you need, when you need it and fa-get about the rest. The one and only thing you should rely on 100% of the time is your own two legs/feet. You're only as good for a run as the feet your out there on. However, things like this have their place and can be used as a supplement to a good workout/run...though not as a main dish so to speak.

These might work as part of

These might work as part of my highland guy Halloween half marathon costume. You have to traditionally wear knee-high socks with a kilt, but I want to run barefoot.

Thanks for reviewing these Zum. They might be worth a look.

Is this for your Catholic

Is this for your Catholic school girl costume SP? :p

You're having way too much

You're having way too much fun with this kilt thing Zum. Maybe I should start practicing tying my dress shirts up in those side knots, ala Brittany Spears.

Dress shirt and a kilt?

Dress shirt and a kilt? Sounds a little like Jesse and Jason to me. I bet the combo would rock though. :p

I bought a highland shirt for

I bought a highland shirt for my costume on Halloween. It's like a dress shirt but with drawstring closure for the collar. Zum has it in her head that I'm going to start running in a kilt full time. She's been giving me crap on facebook for it for the past couple of days.

I guess I'll have to go visit

I guess I'll have to go visit FB now. Hee.

Oh great.  Now TJ's checking

Oh great. Now TJ's checking her facebook account. Just don't go following me around like you do on this forum. I have an image to maintain. It's not a great image...but an image nonetheless. :p

Where's the little smiley

Where's the little smiley flipping a bird? Anyone?