ZEM First Impressions

BrunoRuns

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
Hey all!

Just made my first few runs with my new ZEM's. I ordered a mens medium first and they turned out to be a bit too big for me based on my foot size. I exchanged them (very easy and quick turn around) for mens small even though I wear a 9. My first piece of advice would be to order a size lower than you think you need. It worked for me, but if they don't fit, $2 to return ship them is all it costs to get the right size.

Initially I decided to use them for the second half of my run the other day. It was 40 Degrees but WET. I've been running BF in about 32 and above degrees and have been able to get my blood flowing after about 2 miles and I usually wait till the sun has been on the roads (about 2pm). I know we all don't have this luxury. When I went out in 40 and wet my feet were frozen after just 1 mile which I knew would happen. I ducked back inside and put on my ZEM's (High top, split toe). When I went out I immediatly noticed that my feet were warming up and staying warm. I found it quite easy to maintain my BF form while in them.

The bottoms were a bit loud on the ground and I tired to get my landings as soft as I could. Just that small layer between the wetness kept my feet dry enough and the bootie felt snug against my skin. I did feel that the heel drifted back a little but since my foot strike doesn't really involve the heel it didn't bother me. I would say these are warmer and lighter than my VFF's but they don't seem as durable over the long haul.

I've only done a 2 mile and 3 mile run with them but so far they feel quite comfortable and do a good job of keeping wet surfaces and light snow remnants at bay.

I personally only plan on using them for cold/wet or super cold runs, but I think I am going to do a 6 miler this week since my usual 6 route still has some moisture, lots of shade and it's forcasted to be 30 degrees or worse in Maryland.

I am excited about these for the winter and I'm excited to see what the 360's will have in store.

Did you use the measure sheet

Did you use the measure sheet that they have on their site? I tried it today and it indicated I needed an X-large but my shoe size is more in line with the large.

Also it looks like your feet would get wet. Is there enough sole to keep the water away from the fabric?

If there is any water on

If there is any water on the ground the zems pick it up. Its like a sponge and they take a very long time to dry.

Anybody know the scoop on

Anybody know the scoop on Zems coming out with something more waterproof and or a winter shoe and or something better for running? there was some scuttlbut about this a few months ago.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test