Yuengling Shamrock Marathon 2011

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by DougK, Oct 30, 2010.

1. DougK

DougK Guest

Hello, Virginia barefooters! I'm DougK from central Illinois, and I'm planning on running my first marathon...unshod in Virginia Beach on March 20, 2011. I am curious to know if anyone has any firsthand knowledge of the barefoot-friendliness of the course from recent years? Any thoughts or comments whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

If anyone does, please post

If anyone does, please post your review of that course in our Race/Trail Reviews page above. In fact, please start reviewing as many as you guys can. That would be much appreciated. Thanks.

3. EricsLearning

EricsLearning Barefooters
    1. Virginia

I'll be running the half in

I'll be running the half in VFFs. I live in Virginia Beach and run down that way on occasion. Its all asphault with maybe a few small sections of crush n run gravel. The gravel really depends on the military base you have to run through but over all it should be very barefoot friendly. It will also be super flat. There might be a 10 or 15 foot elivation change across the entire length of the race.

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome, Eric!

Welcome, Eric!

5. EricsLearning

EricsLearning Barefooters
    1. Virginia

Thanks, I love this forum

Thanks, I love this forum even if I rarely run barefoot for more than half a mile.

6. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Welcome Doug!  I got excited

Welcome Doug! I got excited thinking that Yuengling's race might be here in my neighborhood where they make the stuff. Nope. Ah well. There'll be other races.

7. MirthScout

MirthScout Barefooters

I live just north of that

I live just north of that Rudee Inlet bridge. I can second what EricsLearning said. All sections of that course that I've seen are either asphalt or concrete. Very barefoot friendly. I haven't seen a coupe of the roads at the north end of the course but I'm sure they are fine. I usually run there in VFFs but often take them off for part of my runs. I'm up to 1 mile barefoot before I put the VFFs back on. I'm going to run the Shamrock half in VFFs too.