Your favorite Luna Trail Sandal?

hey
I dont like mono, kind of "cushioned spongy sandals".
I do like leadville sandals, a lot !
I dont know Oso, looks like its not minimalist at all...

only problem with sandals are the muddy trails. because of the clay there is no grip between the foot and the sandal.
but I read somewhere someone (Abide maybe) said that with five toes socks it was ok

now you can find a lot of other brands with similar products (wokova, ...), sometimes cheaper.

Reactions: Barefoot Gentile
Oso's are better than mono's for wet trails and provide a lot more foot protection so over the course of a long race, so your foot will feel less fatigued. But the sole is heavier and stays flat forever, the monos will eventually contour to your feet and are light. They are all about the same thickness around +/-1CM so be prepared. Skip the venados, the sole is the most slick. I have never tried the Leadville? Seems like they are well liked though?

I'd pick the performance laces. The other ones have a elastic heel and can be annoying when running. The tech strap is very handy for trails.

As Sly said my wife uses injini socks in the mud and has had no problems with slippage. I can't confirm it's true, as I have never tried it. I'll probably try it soon though.

Haha great conflicting info, good luck picking now!

Oso's are better than mono's for wet trails and provide a lot more foot protection so over the course of a long race, so your foot will feel less fatigued. But the sole is heavier and stays flat forever, the monos will eventually contour to your feet and are light. They are all about the same thickness around +/-1CM so be prepared. Skip the venados, the sole is the most slick. I have never tried the Leadville? Seems like they are well liked though?

I'd pick the performance laces. The other ones have a elastic heel and can be annoying when running. The tech strap is very handy for trails.

As Sly said my wife uses injini socks in the mud and has had no problems with slippage. I can't confirm it's true, as I have never tried it. I'll probably try it soon though.

Haha great conflicting info, good luck picking now!

I appreciate the conflicting info! ha! I really like the Mono's because of the fact they will contour to the foot over time, would be nice if they had the same bottom's as the Oso's. Pat Sweeney just ran 2 100 milers in them, and they seemed to handle well in the mud, without socks. I will definitely go with the performance laces whatever model I will pick.

Whatever you do, try a coupon first:

http://www.promopro.com/merchant-Luna-Sandals-coupons-deals-38346.html

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/lunasandals.com

What about this new model? It's their thickest at 19mm.

mono_gordo_grande.jpg

LUNA Mono Gordo $ 110.00

Thanks TJ! I was looking at those as well.

Let me know if you get them, what you think of them. You can get at least 10% off with one of the coupons. I'd buy some, but with my condition, I don't know if it would be a big waste of money. I sure would like to try to get back out there though. I'd hate to be let down if my nerves can't handle it.

I appreciate the conflicting info! ha! I really like the Mono's because of the fact they will contour to the foot over time, would be nice if they had the same bottom's as the Oso's. Pat Sweeney just ran 2 100 milers in them, and they seemed to handle well in the mud, without socks. I will definitely go with the performance laces whatever model I will pick.

Yeah good point about Pat, to be honest I'm not sure how well the mono's would handle in mud. I usually opt out of Luna's these days if it's gonna be muddy because I am slow and always just clearing cut offs. There have been a few races with mud that I have had problems with in my Oso's but its only the type of mud that your foot sinks into. If its just surface mud its not a big deal, but once there is a layer of mud between your foot and the sandal its really slick for a couple of minutes till it dries out. It's doable just a nuisance, add some hills and then it becomes a little more frustrating but nothing you can't overcome. I also don't think the thickness of the original mono is a deal breaker, its pretty adequate for almost anything. Maybe not a rocky hundred miler but 50 should be fine.

I'm still trying to wear in my mono's 6 months later, they are actually surprisingly resistant to forming around your foot so plan to run in them a while to get them comfortable before the race. I think Sly's mono and my mono might be different because mine does not feel spongy at all. I wonder if he has an older or newer edition?

Let me know if you get them, what you think of them. You can get at least 10% off with one of the coupons. I'd buy some, but with my condition, I don't know if it would be a big waste of money. I sure would like to try to get back out there though. I'd hate to be let down if my nerves can't handle it.

Will do, I hope you can back out there really soon!

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
...to be honest I'm not sure how well the mono's would handle in mud.

Wouldn't all huarache or other type of sandals be problematic in mud? I haven't worn/run in any in mud, but I think they would all have a problem.

Will do, I hope you can back out there really soon!

It's just that I think the only kind of footwear I'd be able to even try to run/walk (distance) in would be really thick huaraches because they allow the metatarsals to splay while giving enough padding between me and the ground to "insulate" the nerve damage in my feet from the surgeries I've had (due to shoes, of course, I have to add). The thickest I've found are the Gordo's at 19mm, but at $110.00 - 10% + $4.95 shipping, I'm afraid to commit at this time. Still thinking about it though.

Wouldn't all huarache or other type of sandals be problematic in mud? I haven't worn/run in any in mud, but I think they would all have a problem.

I would think so, but some of the other models I have been seeing might do ok. Your foot just slides off the sole, its kind of like walking on ice. So the xero ones that brace your foot on the sides might work well? But who knows.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Which sandals do you run in today? I dont see any reason to get a new pair just because you are going off road, depending on the grip of your current sandal. Id go against all other recommends of thicker sandals for trail here and say that the shamma warriors with 5mm newflex vibram would be great for a 50k.