Xero Shoes Review -- Alpine

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
I was the lucky winner of the January (2023) contest. My Vivobarefoot version of this kind of shoe is pretty worn, so it'll be nice to have the Xero Alpines in top shape for getting around. I can save the Vivobarefoot shoes for more mundane tasks, like shoveling snow or whatnot.

I've worn these shoes many times since winning the contest. They are very comfortable, and about as minimalist as a proper boot can be. They feel a bit stiffer than the Hanas I won last year, but that's to be expected, given the different styles and functions. The look is pretty good too--stylish without calling too much attention to itself. They are cheaper than Vivobarefoot's version, but once again, they also feel a little less substantial. Whether or not they are as durable only time will tell. Vivobarefoot shoes last forever.

As with RandyY, I found the Alpine insole comes out easily when taking off the boot. They might not stick if I wore socks, but I almost never wear socks. One of the insoles' two layers also separated. I might replace them with Vivobarefoot's insoles, or just take them out as RandyY did.

In sum, these shoes are a welcome expansion to minimalist offerings--affordable, comfortable, and very minimalist. Although I'm far from expert, Xero also seems to offer a wide range of styles not easily found in the minimalist world. I would happily recommend these to the barefoot/minimalist curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Thank you!