WTFreak?!

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
432223_10150563972857366_598777365_8813550_989089043_n.jpg

Picture of a giant python along the road in Delray, Florida.

I think I would drop dead at

I think I would drop dead at the sight of this. The park I used to run in prior to my injury has snakes, I even stepped on one, but they don't have anything that monstrous. Probably my biggest fear in the whole world is snakes.

That would be awesome! Thats

That would be awesome!

Thats a big snake... I wonder if it was someones pet that they let loose because it got too big or ate their mom or something.

I happen to think snakes are

I happen to think snakes are beautiful. I like the structure of their heads (nice shape), their jaw line, their eyes. I even think their split tongue is cute.

I don't think the python's

I don't think the python's native to FL, though by now I'm pretty sure they have a naturalized breeding population. If the fire ants don't get ya....

I am terrified of snakes, but

I am terrified of snakes, but have a big fascination with them too. The pythons are not native to FL, but some were released by homeowners who could no longer take care of them due to their size and some broke free, so to speak, from pet shops during hurricanes. They are actually growing bigger than what was origionally thought possible down there because of the abundance of food and because it is such a good environment for them. They are actually becoming a nuisance and going from the swaps into residential neighborhoods and killing family pets. They are trying to get control of the bredding population, but much like wild hogs they are reproducing faster than they can catch them. Like I said, I may be terrified of them but they are very fascinating to me. I would love to see some of the giant Anacondas in South America where they are rumored to have gotten up to 50 feet in length. My wife had to drag me out of the Oregon Coast Aquarium where they have a big 15-20 foot anaconda. I was so transfixed by the size of it. Scary to think that thing could kill me and there wouldn't be much I could do about it.

Just showed that to my wife -

Just showed that to my wife - her words "Wow!"

Reminds me of a time I was photographing the MS Bike ride in New Bern, NC. This big ass corn snake slithers end-to-end across the road (a rather large 2 lane country road) about 50 yards in front of me. Thank gawd no riders were approaching at that time, because it would have meant fubar for the cyclists.

Your snake was like, "Excuse

Your snake was like, "Excuse me. Coming through. Excuse me." Hee.

Oh, that is not good.  That

Oh, that is not good. That is not good. The little furries are going to have to start figuring out how to become smarter than the snake or they will all be gone. And the snake better start figuring out that if he keeps going around eating everyone up, there will be no more food left to eat...unless, of course, he comes knocking at our door. Yikes.

I love all critters furry and not so furry.

I wonder if they have any

I wonder if they have any groups like the Gator Boys who go around rounding up the aligators and transplanting them to safer areas (safer for the humans and the aligators) to round up all the snakes. They need some Snake Boys groups.

TJ yes they do have snake

TJ yes they do have snake people who round 'em up and take them some place safer. I watch way too many documentaries and way too much Discovery channel...

Heard a story on NPR just

Heard a story on NPR just this morning on the subject.

The conclusion was that it's too late!

Furry = gone for good in the Everglades, Pythons established!

Remind me never to go running

Remind me never to go running in florida. That snake makes the huge rattler I ran into last Fall look like a worm. Eeeeek!

No, Board!  DON'T say THAT! 

No, Board! DON'T say THAT! Don't say furry gone forever! :-(

That's good to know that

That's good to know that there are people rounding up snakes. I hope they are rounding up these guys. But where would they put them?

As much as I like snakes, and

As much as I like snakes, and I really do, invasive species should be killed on sight with no exception. Just look at what a mess the Australian ecosystem became after colonization.

I can't look!  I can't look!

I can't look! I can't look!