Would you...

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Would you smoke pot or take synthetic cannabis, use medical marijuana, if you could not control your pain any other way? I WON'T do that, although it's looking like this may be an option for me, as my half-assed research tells me.

I just got to thinking, and thought I would ask my BRS family... If your pain was that great, would you do it? Am I nuts to not want to? Is it that big of a deal?

Of course. Hell, I'd do it for far less noble a reason than that. It's been a couple of decades since I have partaken in a little smoke, but it's not because I think it's evil or anything.....or at least no more so than alcohol, which is addictive.

If I could do so legally, yes I would, but I wouldn't take the risk to do so illegally. Marijuana is a far less dangerous and concerning drug than many prescription drugs that are easily and readily available. As a medical treatment under a doctor's care I'd be far less concerned about taking a prescription for marijuana (smoking the natural plant obtained from a reputable source) than taking a prescription for Vicodin.

Peace,
Karen

YES, YES, YES I will do it in a heart beat since everything you have tried has failed.
Go for it if you could get it legaly.

Me, no. I have never purposely inhaled any kind of smoke and I don't plan to start anytime soon.

TJ, it would be a last resort for me. Are you sure it would even have the desired effect for you? Aren't you the very same person who doesn't like pain killers to make you loopy?

Yes.

Not sure about the smoking part, but the pain killing derivatives, yes absolutely as a prescription.

Smoking wise, I'm down to about one drunken cigar every 2-3 years now (it's me that's drunk, not the cigar)

Would you smoke pot or take synthetic cannabis, use medical marijuana, if you could not control your pain any other way? I WON'T do that, although it's looking like this may be an option for me, as my half-assed research tells me.

I just got to thinking, and thought I would ask my BRS family... If your pain was that great, would you do it? Am I nuts to not want to? Is it that big of a deal?

If I may ask, why the aversion to it? Is it the legality issue? A moral issue? Worried about addiction? Don't like the dopey feeling? Don't want to go to any Phish concerts?

The questions in my mind is: Is the THC actually working as a pain killer? Or is it more a situation of you still hurt, but you don't care?

If it would atually kill the pain, I'd consider it (of course, here in CA, you can buy pot from the cops, so it's cool), but I would do one helluva lot of soul-searching as I kicked booze a bit ago and am mindful of any alterting substance (but not for reasons of morality, I assure you). Regardless, I'd make damn sure there were no other options before I went down that road.

You crack me up, Pirate.

That's why I am asking, weighing all my options. This is part of that soul-searching effort.

There are several reasons why I would not want to take it:

I have two little ones I need to be mindful of, aware of, take care of.

What kind of message does my smoking pot send my kids?

I don't like the paranoia feelings that come with it...or so I am told.

I surely don't need the "munchies."

I think I could handle Phish high or straight.

AND Is the THC actually working as a pain killer? Or is it more a situation of you still hurt, but you don't care? That's the million dollar question, or quarter, or whatever it costs now...not that I ever knew. ........ Do I dare to find out?

I would, you don't have to smoke it and therefore worry about your lungs. If you don't like it, then you know it isn't for you.

No. For the same reasons you listed above, TJ. Also, you don't know where the stuff is grown, what chemicals are on it, what environmental damage the growers have caused, etc.

Although, I have nothing against pot and I believe it should be legalized, then many of the above problems wouldn't be problems.

I have two little ones I need to be mindful of, aware of, take care of. A: The fact that this is your first concern tells me that you'd do quite all right with THC. Most folks don't even bother to consider that aspect, medical condition, or no.

What kind of message does my smoking pot send my kids? A: Damn, Mom's hip!

I don't like the paranoia feelings that come with it...or so I am told. A: Fair enough. But remember: Just because you're paranoid does not mean that they're not out to get you.

I surely don't need the "munchies." A: I hear that...notice that munchies never drive you to eat healthy stuff, like apples...it's always chips....I think Frito Lay is behind that...

I think I could handle Phish high or straight. A: I always suspected you of being refined.

AND Is the THC actually working as a pain killer? Or is it more a situation of you still hurt, but you don't care? That's the million dollar question, or quarter, or whatever it costs now...not that I ever knew. ........ Do I dare to find out? A: Aren't there docs on the board that can address that for you? Or maybe NORML.org or something might have something about whether it is actually killing the pain, or just distracting you from it...then again, so long as you are no longer bothered with the pain, does it matter how you got there?

...'course, now I have "Gumbo" playing in my head...

NO. I won’t use it , if it does relieve pain, it can relieve only temporary. I will let my body’s natural pain reliever works its way. Maybe similar to endorphin our body makes on long run.
Get to the root cause of the pain and hopefully with time body will heal itself.
I do not want to use anything that will alter my senses. Been there, pot, smoking, alcohol on high school days 32 years ago, I’m lucky to reach a crossroad and choose a healthier path, Running.
Its funny how I smell pot some time when I run on trails beside school buildings reminds me of the good old days.
I hope I’m delivering a positive message not only to my 2 teenage daughters and a 9 yr old but also to everyone seeing me run commute barefoot

You crack me up, Aarrr Matey. I needed that "natural" high.

Q: Wouldn't I have to be stoned all the time in order to rid myself of the pain, all of the time? Who wants to live like that? Not. Me.

Henry, please, trust me when I say my pain is not so trivial that I could simply hope to smoke pot and have it disappear. My pain and I actually have a very strong relationship, something I have not been able to break for over 3-1/2 years now, no matter how hard I have tried. Even though you aren't aware of my history, your message is supportive and encouraging. Thank you.

I guess those dolphins follow you along in your pirate ship. I think they feel they have to.

I have two little ones I need to be mindful of, aware of, take care of.

Yeah, that's the reason I decided abstention was appropriate for me. They're all teenagers now, and I'd rather they didn't go down that road, mostly because of the unknowns with what they'd be smokin' and who'd they'd have to hang out with to get it.

Have you tried accupuncture TJ ? Meditation ?

Remind me, if THC is the active ingredient, and it relieves pain, or whatever it does, whether ingested or smoked, why hasn't it been made into a standardized pharmaceutical? Lack of economic motivation? Law?

I don't have objection based on legal grounds (+1 to those that cite alcohol as being far less benign), if you are taking something for medical reasons, it is generally good to know what dosage you are getting, and how much you need, what the side effects are, etc., which you do not get with anything that is not regulated as a drug.