Winter training for Spring Marathon

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
Last winter I trained for my first marathon for a spring race which was in May, I ran the marathon in Vibrams. So I have the itch to run another marathon, which will be in May again. This time I will be running it barefoot. I have been running barefoot for the last 6 months consistantly, it's still very warm in the east coast here but soon that will change. I will continue to run barefoot as long as possible, but I know there will come a time when I need to put on footwear (vibrams or huaraches). So I figure I will still be running barefoot in November, and journey into december. December was cutoff period before i needed to put on Vibrams. So I figure I will only need some kind of footwear for 3 months.

Looking at my schedule my first 18 miler will be on March 14th, then my first 20 miler will be on Mar. 28th. I do have a second 20 miler which will be on April 4th, then it's a 3 week taper. I figure if I can get one 20 miler barefoot I will be good to go, or hopefully two. I know it still can get nasty in march.

I should mention I don't have access to a treadmill, which is a good thing!

Just wondering for the barefoot marathoners out there that like to run a spring marathon, but experience winter, how well did you adapt?

I'm pretty much in the same

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I'm hoping to run my first Marathon May 11. Last winter I was able to get most of my runs in barefoot except for a couple when there was snow/ice on the road. If you are able to run in the early evening I think you'll be surprised how mush you'll be able to do barefoot since the road will warm under the sun.

The hardest part for me is the lack of daylight, I'm counting on the days getting longer as spring comes around.

Ramzev:  We ARE in the same

Ramzev: We ARE in the same boat! Once fall starts I run in the dark until spring, the only time i see light when I run is my one run on the weekend, which is my long run. With two young boys, work, and back in school, running in the evenings is out of the question. I am a 5:15am runner during the week.

Thanks for the input, it's good to hear people in the same situation. We can do this! Good luck with training.

I think we've got parallel

I think we've got parallel lives going on! I also have 2 young boys (& a teenage daughter) and my wife has been working on her masters. She just finished up so I'll be returning to school in the spring.

Normally I bring my stuff to work and run as soon as I get off @4pm, that gives me light for most of my run. I adjust my route so I'm on streets with lights later in the run.

Wow we really do,  I plan on

Wow we really do, I plan on graduating in May, then my wife is going to start on her master's as well. Well you sure are busy as well, it keeps us going!

Good idea about bringing the gear to work for a run after. I work in a city so traffic is crazy, I will try to figure out some routes.

Adam, do you have access to

Adam, do you have access to an indoor track? I know is boring but it beats the mill.

I was just reading in a

I was just reading in a different thread about friction, and burns from running on tracks... Is it not a problem if your form is good?

MikeT wrote:I was just

MikeT said:
I was just reading in a different thread about friction, and burns from running on tracks... Is it not a problem if your form is good?

It takes some time to get used to it, like a treadmill.

I think people get burns from the track because it is easier to run faster by pushing off. Really focus on lifting when you first start out.

Dama:   That would be very

Dama: That would be very helpful and a great idea, but I don't know any where I live. But I should look into it more, maybe there is.

I live near a high school that has a brand new outdoor track that is made with this rubbery substance. I have ran on it barefoot, but if you have bad form it will destroy your feet. It's almost like soft chip -n- seal. I don't run on it, it's way to bouncey for me.

A good form and well

A good form and well conditioned feet will get you over some tracks (and texturized paint) unscathed. But you have to get there first.