Winter Time Bare Footing

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by TheCallusedToe, Oct 30, 2011.

1. TheCallusedToe

TheCallusedToe
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan -...

Hi Guys,

Pretty new to barefoot running here (~ 4 months now). What do you guys do to keep warm in the winter? My feet keep going numb when running in the morning and I have to put on my vibrams. I would rather do it barefoot though. The only option seems like the treadmill.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Jack

2. jldeleon

jldeleon
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. California...
    3. Washington

I am a total wuss when it comes to cold feet and I have been using these:

http://www.amazon.com/SealSkinz-Water-Blocker-Waterproof-Seal/dp/B000LZCPXO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319900914&sr=8-3

They are super thin too, even with three layers, I can really feel the ground.They keep my form in check too, because the middle layer slips around so it's really important not to push off. Some people have said the bottoms of them wear out fast, but again, if you are not pushing off, they shouldn't wear out too fast. But they are warm and they are water-proof. However, your feet will sweat, but it's warm sweat! :) I do run on pavement, not sure if they'd be too slippery for other surfaces??? Also, the sizes run large and you need to make sure they are pulled up as tight as possible.

Jen

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. pdxagogo

pdxagogo
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon

I have the same problem but every year it seems to get a little better. Last winter/spring I had a 50 degree rule. I'd wear Vibrams when it got below 50 but I learned that If I started with Vibrams and ran a couple of miles I could then take them off and keep going barefoot. I just ran my first marathon barefoot and am curious to see if I have more resistance to the cold than before. I'll let you know.

Todd

4. NickW

NickW
    Expand Collapse

I just ran this morning at 31 degrees. By end of my run it was 36 degrees. I took some advice that I saw from some of the east coasters and midwest folks and have been trying to acclimate myself. I too am a newbie, about 7 months or so. I run in shorts and either a short sleeve shirt or a long sleeved shirt. Today was my coldest run and I added a biking headband to keep my ears warm and some gloves. I actually had to take these off inside of a mile because I started sweating and sweat can make you super cold while outdoors in the winter. I was born and raised in Montana and understand that having too much clothing on can actually make you colder.

This morning my feet actually really hurt for the first half mile and I was contemplating turning around and going back home when my internal heater decided to kick on. I ended up running 4 miles. Check out the winter running forums for some great advice as well.

5. pdxagogo

pdxagogo
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon

Ran tonight in 46 degrees on wet roads and feet felt fine. I'm guessing I could go lower still. Time will tell. I can say that after a year and a half of working toward completely unshod it has gotten easier and is definitely more comfortable than last year.

Good luck!

Todd

6. Joshh

Joshh
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Oregon
    2. California...
    3. Utah

My rule is that if my feet are cold, I'm running too slow. Last winter I ran a number of times below freezing and wasn't bothered by the cold (did have to hoof it though). Also, I rarely run in the morning as feet always seem to be more tender at the beginning of the day.

7. migangelo

migangelo
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Oregon

i go by feel. if it feels too cold i'll wear something. what this year i don't know as i just gave my father my vffs. i do have some trail gloves i can wear but will save it for really cold, muddy days.

i found i can go bf in heavy rains, some cold but not cold wet ground. i also wear huaraches ALL the time and that has helped improve the blood circulation in my feet. yeah, i start out cold but the feet do warm up.

just go give it a try and carry shoes. if your feet don't warm up or get numb put them on.

Mike