Winter is coming...

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by BarefootDevilDog, Nov 24, 2013.

1. BarefootDevilDog

BarefootDevilDog Chapter Presidents
    1. New Hampshire
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

As the wind starts whipping through the valleys and over the mountaintops of the Granite State, the last of the summer's leaves cling to thin, morning frost coated branches and the occasional snow flurry falls, hinting at things to come...

What changes, if any, do you make to your training as winter approaches?

2. randicoot

randicoot Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

No changes really, except for not running in temps below about 20. I might use the eliptical on these mornings but I've avoided it so far this year. It's hard to accept the cold when just last Monday it was 55 and I was out BF and in short sleeves.
    You?

3. BarefootDevilDog

1. New Hampshire
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

Layers becomes the word of the day once the cold settles in. Hats and gloves join in as well. Winter is also when I'm most likely to break out the minimalist shoes. I know there are plenty of barefoot runners who go totally barefoot all year but a poorly thought out short cut across a not quite frozen pond as a child, and the ensuing hypothermia inducing submersion has left me with toes and fingers that are less tolerant of the cold than some people's. Between about 30-35ºF or so I choose one of my pairs of VFFs. Below that and it's NB Minimus. The open toe box allows me to wear a pair of socks like Wrights or Darn Toughs.

4. randicoot

randicoot Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

Well if we're talking clothing/gear, I have rules of thumb to go by as the temps drop. I have Raynaud's, so below 50 I have to wear shoes of some sort. I was using Zem Terras down to about freezing, which I liked a lot until some longer runs (6-8 miles) when the toes started to feel cramped lengthwise and also got blistery wear spots on top of foot/toes. Below freezing I've been using Stem/Lems with wool socks. For tops, long sleeves below about 52, sweatshirt in the low 40s, T and sweatshirt in the 30s, 2 Ts and sweatshirt below 28-30. I pull my hands into the long sleeves until it gets below 40 and then gloves.

BTW, BDD, I've signed up for a local race--the Peanut Butter Chip Chase 5k on Jan 1. There has been some pretty decent weather in recent years, so this year there will probably be a blizzard. Maybe see you there?

5. BarefootDevilDog

1. New Hampshire
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

Probably not this year. I've been doing 1st Run in Lowell for the past few years and I'll probably head down there again but there are plenty of local races. I'm sure we'll run into each other at one of them. Didnt you say you live in the Peterborough area?

6. randicoot

randicoot Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

Yes, Peterborough area. Can't get any more local than the race I mentioned as it runs past my house.

7. BarefootDevilDog

1. New Hampshire
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

Well I'm just over in Jaffrey. Why don't we hit Pack Monadnock sometime?

8. randicoot

randicoot Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

Sorry--must have overlooked this last reply. Maybe in January--time is a little short until after the holiday. Did you mean parking lot (or some other start) to peak and back?

9. BarefootDevilDog

1. New Hampshire
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

After the holidays most definitely. We'll play it by ear. I'll reach out to some of the other barefooters I know around here and see if anyon else's interested.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  10. BarefootDevilDog

1. New Hampshire
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

How was the Peanut Butter Chip Chase? I heard they had a great turn out this year.

11. randicoot

randicoot Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

190 runners, which is pretty good turnout, I guess. About 20-22 degrees but very windy--the hot soup afterwards was very welcome.

Your run in Lowell?

12. BarefootDevilDog

1. New Hampshire
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

I ended up having to work so it didn't pan out this year. What other local races do you usually run?

13. randicoot

randicoot Barefooters
    1. New Hampshire

I've only just started doing the occasional race the past few years. That one two years ago and one in Manchester in September the past two years. I might be open for a few more if I ever get past all the transition issues.