Wine

barefoot kean

Barefooters
Jun 3, 2010
Anchorage
Theres a lot of conversation about beer in the running world, so I figured I'd ask about wine. Whats everyones favorites, favorite region, thoughts, comments, whatever.

Ive found that, in my limited experience, im a fan of Pinot Noir, and boxed wine (mostly because it tastes a lot like grape juice, which is delicious).

I'm a big fan of the

I'm a big fan of the Barfefoot Moscato and Rieslings. They're sweet and don't give me heartburn. I really like Pinot Noir and Merlot and Cabmerlots, but I can't drink them anymore as red wine seems to light my stomach on fire something fierce. There was a brand that my wife and I used to really like called Fat Bastard but we haven't seen it in a while. We tried it because of the funny name and found we really liked it. It was a red, maybe a shiraz, but I can't remember.

i love brunello but can't

i love brunello but can't afford it. a roso di montalcino works in it's place. otherwise its syrah. after that it doesn't matter. those are my first two choices and then its whatever i'm in the mood for or can afford.

+1 with malbec: even the

+1 with malbec: even the cheapies are nice.

most chilean anything---again, cheap but good 'nuff.

otherwise, it depends on the wine.

I can tell all y'all from

I can tell all y'all from experience bartending (on the side as I do now), that if I put a $4-5 bottle of wine in front of you, you would drink it up all day long and never know. This is because 95% of the population does not have the palette to differentiate grapes based upon age, region or storage. Kitchen Sink will fit all your taste buds.

I'm sorry and I dont mean to

I'm sorry and I dont mean to offend anyone, but American wine sucks. I was so glad when I was studying in the States to find some good old Australian reds. :D

There's a small winery in the Clare Valley about an hour from where I live called Claymore's that makes the best wine, both red and white. Their "Dark Side of the Moon" shiraz and their "Joshua Tree" riesling are to die for (yes they name all their wines after their favourite albums) :)

I don't know about that. We

I don't know about that. We stopped buying Hardy's box wine because too many of them just weren't very good. Compare that to Bota Box wines, which have all been really good for a box wine, and often for about the same price. Based on that, all American wines are better than all Australian wines.
lol.png

Thunderbird and Mad Dog

Thunderbird and Mad Dog 20/20. And for special occasions Strawberry Boones Farm.

barefoot ramzev

barefoot ramzev said:
Thunderbird and Mad Dog 20/20..

if you enjoy puking purple slushies half the night ... :p

Wine - basically dry, red, French. Nuff said. But quality Spanish Rioja always makes me smile, too :)

Honestly, and I hope this doesn't come across wrong, living in Europe exposes me to a spectrum of wine (and other fine things) that you really only get at expensive specialty shops in the US. We also have box wine and huge jugs of cheap stuff, but an average wine here is already up there with the best stuff in the US beverage centers.

Oh and, if you put red wine in a refrigerator, you're evil.

I do not know a ton about

I do not know a ton about wines but my favorite are dark reds. Went on a wine tour in Fredericksburg, Texas this weekend at GrapeCreek Vineyards. It was all great. Any of my fellow Texans who want to score points or get their wine on should head out there.

RunningTim wrote:I'm sorry

RunningTim said:
I'm sorry and I dont mean to offend anyone, but American wine sucks. I was so glad when I was studying in the States to find some good old Australian reds. :D

There's a small winery in the Clare Valley about an hour from where I live called Claymore's that makes the best wine, both red and white. Their "Dark Side of the Moon" shiraz and their "Joshua Tree" riesling are to die for (yes they name all their wines after their favourite albums) :)

I don't know, an Aussie guy on another forum ordered me a bottle of Australian red from a local store when my son was born. It tasted rather nasty. :p

I like stuff from Chateau St. Michelle in Washington state.

I personally like the cheap

I personally like the cheap Barefoot brand. It goes with my lifestyle very well. I can buy it for under $5 a bottle and it's not bad. As someone else said, most of us don't have palettes to even notice the different between the expensive stuff and the cheap stuff. My wife got a bottle of wine from Europe from her cousin for her bday and it was supposed to be some really good wine. We found it to be terrible and a complete waste of her cousins money. Most of the more expensive bottles of wine here we seem to find not worth the money spent, so we are quite happy with the under $10 bottles of wine.

NickW wrote:My wife got a

NickW said:
My wife got a bottle of wine from Europe from her cousin for her bday and it was supposed to be some really good wine. We found it to be terrible and a complete waste of her cousins money.

I'm sure was terrible. I didn't mean to say that every wine you can buy here is good, not by a long a shot. There's a LOT of wine here, so the range is huge. And $$ does not equal 'good tasting'. Expensive wines are often unique in some way, too. Meaning they can taste unusual to ppl like us who don't know what to look for.

Willie, I guess I miss wrote

Willie, I guess I miss wrote that. It supposedly was a wine that is known for it's good flavor and it just happened to be expensive. It was crap in our minds, but we still drank it. Can't waste wine you know!

BFwillie_g wrote:Honestly,

BFwillie_g said:
Honestly, and I hope this doesn't come across wrong, living in Europe exposes me to a spectrum of wine (and other fine things) that you really only get at expensive specialty shops in the US. We also have box wine and huge jugs of cheap stuff, but an average wine here is already up there with the best stuff in the US beverage centers.

Oh and, if you put red wine in a refrigerator, you're evil.

I wonder if this is similar to American beer. People who live in Europe and America say you can't find a good American beer, and that is not true. Craft brew in America is newer and smaller but there and the reason for this experience is the difference in distribution models.

In Europe, smaller, more artisan type breweries produce wine which is sold much more locally. Producers are still trying to make a profit, but it is not at the same priority as the big American makers. So in the store in Europe, you get lots of good, local choices, with high quality. Then you see the mass produced beer America makes and has the capital to send overseas and you make a comparison. The microbrews don't have the money to send their produts overseas, and buying an American craft beer does not hold the same regard in Europe as buying European craft beer does in America. So European breweries can afford to send their beer over at a much larger mark-up.

Here in the States, the small more craft type breweries have trouble competing on a national scale with the huge companies like Miller with their giant budgets. These companies put more money into advertising than their product, and more into profit than putting money back into quality ingredients. So the craft brews are pretty much local. This makes it hard to make a universal recommendation on a craft beer, but you can say, oh this European beer is better than those mass market American beers, so then the European ones get a huge foothold in the American market...

Anyway, that is just to say, I just think there are different distribution models, but you absolutely can find good beer and wine in America. I was saying earlier I went to some Texas vineyards and the wine was great, but the wineries have no distributor and you can get it there or join their "wine club" to have it delivered... which we plan on doing. $55 a year for 3 bottles a year, plus 4 wine tasting parties for free at the vineyard, where you drink it before it is ever bottled.

Long rant on low blood sugar, but Go America!

NSDR, living in the Portland

NSDR, living in the Portland area we have a ton of microbrews. I seem to think we are known for our micrbrews here actually. I love our microbrews and have gotten spoiled on good beer. I bought a 6er of budlight a few weeks ago and ick, was shocked because I used to love it and now it tastes like crap to me. I've had this reaction with several big beer companies now. Budweiser is horrible, coors is horrible, miller is terrible. Unfortunately those are the ones that really represent the US.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7