Will someone look at my foot? (That's the oddest title I've ever had for an Internet post)

brianfay

Barefooters
Oct 14, 2010
lakeeffectrunclub.shutterfly.com/5407

I'm wondering if the top of my right foot looks correct here. All those tendons or what have you are so attenuated that it looks like they're about to bust out of my foot.

The pic is from a 5 mile race I did Sunday. Only minimal ill effects (I keep rubbing my left foot raw in one spot but I think it's because of a terrifically bad ankle there and I just need to work on it some more). In fact it was all great, but I wonder if this is something weird I'm doing with clenching the foot or anything.

Thanks.

--

Brian

It looks like you are

It looks like you are pointing your toes up, and if you are, then I would expect your tendons to look like they are flexing/protruding. Now, are you supposed to be lifting your toes that much? I don't think so. You want your foot (and toes) to be completely relaxed through the entire gait cycle.

I agree, try relexing your

I agree, try relexing your foot a bit more. However, it's hard to judge how relaxed someone's foot really is based on a picture, you are the best judge. How does it feel?

Ha!

Ha!

It's pretty hard to tell from

It's pretty hard to tell from that angle. I don't know how your feet look normally either but I know I lift my toes when I touch down, the question is, as the others have said, is it too much? I can't tell. Take this with a truck load of salt since I'm just rambling here but I think there's a reflex that makes you lift your toes when something touches your sole. I don't remember where I read about it or how it works but I know there was something...

I'm not seeing anything

I'm not seeing anything abnormal, my feet look like this too. I think it's just the way the toes are up.

I think the reflex you're

I think the reflex you're referring to is the "curl your toes" reflex they check out on newborns by stroking the soles of their feet with a pencil. Not the same thing at all as the "curl your toes up" reflex.

Yeah, your tendons do look a

Yeah, your tendons do look a little bit scary, you might be pulling your toes up a little hard, but you have to figure that out yourself.

Kean, I wish you were joking. I have dents in the outside edge of my big toenails from exactly that. Probably more a result of being lazy than relaxing too much though. And forgetting that trying to suddenly pick up my foot when it hits the ground doesn't help, it makes it worse. Instead of coming of the ground, the effect is more like striking a match. Not a good feeling. But again, this is from being stupid and lazy, not from relaxing too much.

Wow! Thanks for all the

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I feel pretty relaxed when I run and a friend mentioned that this was just after a gravelly section and at the beginning of a hill. I'm going to focus some on how my toes feel during my next run. Maybe my feet are just grotesque like that. So much for my career as a foot model.

Thank you again for all the comments.

I don't think your feet look

I don't think your feet look gross at all. That's just normal human anatomy at work, the way it was designed to work, unconstricted from shoes.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test