Why the human foot was made for running -- even without shoes

Barefoot Persistence Hunting.jpg

Why the human foot was made for running -- even without shoes
By Doug Williams, Special to ESPN.com

Long before anyone ever ran a 10K or a marathon, humans were running down wild animals.

Meat, not medals, was the reward for the hunters who scampered barefoot through the wilds.

"We evolved to run," says Dr. Irene Davis, director of the Spaulding National Running Center and a professor in the department of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Harvard Medical School in Boston. "Running is in our genes." To continue reading, please visit: http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...ot-was-made-running-long-distances-even-shoes

Awareness. Barefoot runners pay more attention to the surface. "You don't just put on earphones and zone out and slam your heel into the ground," Davis says. "You're being careful of what you're running over." And, shoeless runners -- who also develop tougher soles -- will reflexively put less weight on their foot when they step on something uncomfortable.

I really believe this is the most underrated advantage barefoot runners have. If there is any truth to running on concrete causing more injuries than running on dirt trails it's more to do with a trail's uneven surface encouraging mindfulness where smooth, level concrete allows inventiveness.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I really believe this is the most underrated advantage barefoot runners have. If there is any truth to running on concrete causing more injuries than running on dirt trails it's more to do with a trail's uneven surface encouraging mindfulness where smooth, level concrete allows inventiveness.
All surfaces have benefits. I like both trails and flat surfaces. The trail works to strengthen the foot's structures, while the smoothness of the concrete or asphalt teaches consistency. I never cared for gravel, but it sure will force you to run more gently.

Reactions: trevize1138