Why Shoes Make "Normal" Gait Impossible

An Oldie but a Goodie!

MonsterGreenAsics.jpg
Why Shoes Make "Normal" Gait Impossible
How flaws in footwear affect this complex human function.
By William A. Rossi, D.P.M.
Each year, consumers spend hundreds of millions of dollars for "walking shoes" promising to help the wearer walk "right" or more comfortably. Each year, additional hundreds of millions of dollars are spent for orthotics designed to "normalize" foot balance, stability, and gait. Podiatrists and other medical practitioners are constantly applying therapies and ancillary products to correct gait faults and re-establish "normal" gait.

While such therapies provide some relief from gait-induced distress symptoms, they are largely ineffectual in re-establishing natural gait. Why? Because natural gait is biomechanically impossible for any shoe-wearing person. Natural gait and shoes are biomechanically incompatible because all shoes automatically convert the normal to the abnormal, the natural to the unnatural. And no therapy or mechanical device, no matter how precisely designed or expertly applied, can fully reverse the gait from wrong to right.

Let's now see if these seemingly presumptuous statements can be substantiated by the evidence of the shoe/gait conflict. To continue reading, please visit: http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfrossi2.htm

Reactions: Sid
Wau, mind blowing! I just read it as my breakfast lecture and now it all pieces together...
I always wondered why the tendons are shortened and now I know!
I had preferred some pictures to the lecture but overall I get it now...

Thanks for the article, I now have the missing pieces...

Bye,
Alex

Great find TJ!
I have yet to finish reading the article but I wonder if this applies to zero drop shoes also.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I want to be buried without shoes.

Most excellent cartoon, Ahcuah! :barefoot:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts