Why do you run?

For me it's about equally balanced between the forward looking (my youngest is 6 and I'm now 56) and the gratification in the moment.

I love the instant of foot touching the ground, and the longer moments of quiet and being alone with my breathing and the sun and wind.

From time to time I'll challenge myself with a race. I'll pit myself against the trail or the runner just ahead or my last time on that course.

I really look forward to being that bony old guy just cruising along, all grey and hairy and scary looking, but with a big smile on my face.

At 56 you're not all grey and hairy and scary looking yet? I sure was!

As a 39 year old father of a 10 y/o girl and 3 y/o girl I can think of no better motivation. I've also been using boxing as a cross training. You know, for when I catch 'em.
As the 58 year old father of a 23 year old girl I run 'cos I love it and expect her to be responsible.

I'm also not so senile that I can't remember what I was doing at her age ;)

Mainly, to help me finish quitting smoking. I was close, but not quite there. It worked. That was a long time ago, though.

Why did I stay running? That's for another reason. When I was younger, I always enjoyed sports, but I wasn't all that good at them. When sports got competitive, it was a drag to have limited ability. I would either not make the team, or if I did, the coaches would be frustrated with me. I was thrilled to find out that running would be happy to keep me, even if I was bad at it.

As the 58 year old father of a 23 year old girl I run 'cos I love it and expect her to be responsible.

I'm also not so senile that I can't remember what I was doing at her age ;)
Aaah, I was just picking up on the joke. My reality is much more in line with yours. My girls (The elder anyway) are already on a path to being very responsible decision makers. Trust early'll do that:)

I started running to keep up with my daughter. I stay running because of that feeling I get when I'm a few miles out on a trail and there's nothing I can do about anything back there, my butt doesn't wiggle as much, I don't want yesterday's run to go to waste, I can almost keep up with my daughter, the great people I meet at races and on the trails and roads .........

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test