Who's Barefoot Friendly in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Run Bare, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Run Bare

Run Bare
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Hawaii
    2. Oregon
    3. California...

I thought it might be helpful to start a list of stores and restaurants on the islands that are barefoot friendly. Or maybe a list of not-so barefoot friendly stores is easier? When we travel between islands or visitors come from the mainland, we save each other the trouble of getting kicked out and it's a way to vote with our dollars.

Well, since I'm on Maui here's my list so far:

Maui Barefoot Friendly :happy:
    Mana's Foods, Paia (natural grocer)
    Alive & Well, Kahului (natural grocer)
    Down to Earth, Kahului (natural grocer)
    WholeFoods, Kahului (surprisingly, they just changed their policy!)
    Kombucha Maui, Haiku (raw food cafe)
    Choice Health Bar, Lahaina (raw food cafe)
    Amigos Mexican (all locations)
    Jaws Mexican, Kihei
    Paia Fish Market, Paia
    Flatbread, Paia (I think)

Maui Anti-Barefoot :stop:
    The MAC (Maui Arts and Cultural Center - Specifically for concerts, though it doesn't make much sense to me considering they offer classes like Hula dancing which is barefoot)
    Milagros Mexican restaurant, Paia
    Polli's Mexican restaurant, Makawao
    Costco

I'll keep updating the list!

Aloha,
    Jessica

2. Skyalmian

Skyalmian
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Washington

Hawai'i Barefoot Friendly :happy:
    Island Naturals, Pāhoa (in spite of the false "Shirt & Shoes Required by Health Dept" sign (half the people shop there barefoot))

Hawai'i Anti-Barefoot :stop:
    Island Naturals, Hilo
    Abundant Life Natural Foods, Hilo

The older employees were hard-edged, hostile, and clung to the "legal liability" myth. The younger ones were open / receptive / warm...

Run Bare likes this.
  3. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Hawaii

Oahu has a few places with ns3 signs but not too many. The places that have thrown me out or denied me entry are: Costco, Don Quijote, Waipahu Festival Marketplace and a couple Ross stores (Keeaumoku & Chinatown). For the most part I'm left alone. But those few places that say something make me all the more angry. I'd like more of us to band together for some barefoot actions, flash mobs or whatever. Not something I'd be able to fly between islands though.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Run Bare likes this.
  4. Run Bare

Run Bare
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Hawaii
    2. Oregon
    3. California...

A flash mob is a great idea! Maybe we could organize one in the heart of Honolulu, with the densest population so we could make the greatest impact and perhaps get some press coverage. Would this actually be something you're interested in spear heading? If so, we would find a way to fly over there! And Michael and I could work on contacting the press. If we're successful, perhaps other chapters would be inspired to follow suit. And then we could create a video montage of flash mobs all across the country! Am I getting ahead of myself here? I get excited easily. :woot:

5. Run Bare

Run Bare
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Hawaii
    2. Oregon
    3. California...

Good to know about different Island Naturals. I've been to the ones in Pāhoa and Kona without a problem. Thanks for the heads up!

6. devilnuts

devilnuts
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

Well, I pretty much go everywhere barefoot so there are only a few places that I have had any issues, so that might be a shorter list:

Costco: Sometimes...depends. I've been barefoot in there lots of times, but sometimes I get told I need shoes.
    A few bars and restaurants have had issues, but usually get over it after a while and I don't get harrassed anymore.
    Every grocery store I've gone to here has been fine. Safeway, Whole Foods, Down to Earth (natural food store), etc have all been fine with it. Of course, I go to school barefoot and haven't had problems there either. Every Jamba Juice has been fine. Vitamin Shoppe was fine. The malls have been fine. I will update if I can think of any places that are really not positive or any that are negative.

7. Run Bare

Run Bare
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Hawaii
    2. Oregon
    3. California...

For those who don't know, devilnuts (James) is on Oahu.

I pretty much go everywhere barefoot too. I keep a pair of sandals in my car just in case I need to run into a public restroom or something. Costco on Maui is militant about shoes. After going through my mental list, it does seem easier to list non-barefoot friendly places.

By the way, if someone ever says it's a health code violation or it's the law, they've been misinformed. They do however have the right to make up their own rules for their own establishment.

8. devilnuts

devilnuts
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Hawaii
    2. Arizona -...

Thanks for mentioning that. Yeah, I'm on O'ahu. LOL

I have said this to places before. Had a stock boy in Tucson (at a Sunflower Market of all places) try that with me. I asked him to please show me where that is the case. I said I'd wait. He felt like he didn't need to prove it to me. I told him that he can't just say something out of ignorance and claim it to be true. I told him that the establishment can have that rule if they want, but since it is not posted anywhere and I've been in there before and helped by a manager with no issues, I'm pretty sure it is not the store's policy. I had a Safeway in Tucson also do that. I contacted the manager later and was given the same line and I told them that it needs to be posted and that until it was posted, I was going to continue going in barefoot and they could continue to ask me to leave. Needless to say, I was never asked to leave again. I don't think that was really the manager that I had been put in contact with and since I cc'd the regional manager, it was probably "corrected".

9. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Nice to see Hawaii talking. :barefoot: Love the flash mob idea.