Who in your family also goes barefoot?

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
Well usually I'm the only one in the family that goes barefoot everywhere. My wife thinks it is weird and gross, and most of my family feels the same way. My wife usually insists on making my daughter wear shoes, but I tend to let her go without unless she requests them. I think this picture pretty much sums up how she feels about her choices:

She actually has quite a hard time still walking correctly in shoes. She kind of looks like a drunk or someone who has ridden a horse all day. While she was walking around barefoot that day I noticed how natural her stride was without shoes. I think it shows how important it is for kids to go barefoot for the first years of their lives to develop their muscles properly.

Plus, I don't think you can argue about how she feels going barefoot with a face like that!

She's ADORABLE!  My boys like

She's ADORABLE! My boys like to run around barefoot, mostly in the backyard. They are so free-moving when they run...and run barefoot. Their form is perfect. They don't become winded. They truly enjoy it. Oh to be a child again...

My nephew has started college

My nephew has started college and since I run barefoot, he has became a bfr as well! He is intrigued with the idea and is bf hiking or trail running as well now. Other than that I stand alone in my bfr, and bf trail running ambitions! My brothers' think i am nuts and are just waiting for an injury to happen so they can say I told you so ;)

My Granddaughter would never

My Granddaughter would never wear shoes if she had her way. Daughter in Law prefers to be shoeless. That is about it. All the rest seem to like stuffing their feet into bacteria boxes.

My folks are all shod, but my

My folks are all shod, but my SO is barefoot here at the farm (when it's not a safety problem) and is loving the new foot/ankle/leg strength!

I think everyone else I know just thinks I'm wacky for losing the shoes.

Aw SP, she's beautiful!.

Aw SP, she's beautiful!. Definitely a little barefooter you have there, as kids should be. :) My kids also go barefoot most of the time during the spring/summer/fall (accept at parks and public places) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4471245&l=cbf18b89a5&id=514539414

my husband is about 75% barefoot, 25% flip flops

My Mom dabbles in barefoot running

Nice Zumba.  I'm not sure

Nice Zumba. I'm not sure what it would take to get my family interested. My wife's normal attitude towards something is that you're wrong until I decide you're right, so even if I show her how it makes sense, she won't do it until she's ready.

My mom is a physical therapist and very much all about the science of orthodics and other such witch brew. Doubtful I can get any movement there. Maybe my daughter is my only convert.

Remember my dh SP, he wanted

Remember my dh SP, he wanted to get out for a family walk one day and ditch his flip flops in order "to even out the tan lines on his feet" LOL He's been hooked on barefoot running since and backs me up all the time when skeptics barge in saying Im' nuts. Give them a path and let them chose to take it, make them believe it's their idea...and they'll come around ;)

SP, isn't that what being

SP, isn't that what being married is all about? ;)

My 4 yo likes going barefoot and I'm letting her choose when and where to do it. Also, I'm trying to get my wife to try barefoot running, she wears pretty minimal ballerina style shoes already so it isn't that big a stretch. Then again, she's never been a physically active person so I'm taking it slow. Our littlest one is only 9½ months so she hasn't even learned to walk yet. She'll be barefoot as much as possible though once she does though.

BB...let me know how getting

BB...let me know how getting the wife active goes. My wife does zero for physical activity, although she occasionally bikes by me while I run. I want to involve her in my running so that we don't have to be apart for so long while I'm training for marathons and all that jazz. Of course there are a million excuses, the biggest being "I hate running." Well, I hated it too until I did it regularly.

And then there's that whole, if I ask her to run with me, she will want to do the exact opposite.

I'll stop now before my rant goes all day...

My wife actually wants to

My wife actually wants to start running and she's tried to this summer. She kept it up for two weeks and then lost motivation. In her defense, the last month has been a little crazy so it wasn't the best of times to start a new habit. We've been travelling the country staying with various relatives and switched places to stay about once a week but I'm going to gently nudge her towards a new attempt now that we're home again. She's the same as your wife, the more I want her to try something, the more she wants to run in the opposite direction until she hears someone else say the exact same thing...

My 4 yo likes to run though and I'm trying to encourage her to do it as much as possible. I'm in no way going to pressure her, just let her run when she wants to, maybe join me for the first part of my run and so on. We ran home from daycare a few times this spring, things like that.

My niece and nephews (9, 8,

My niece and nephews (9, 8, and 3) go barefoot as much as possible. All the other adults besides myself are shod just about all the time.

Learn from the kids!

Be careful trying to use

Be careful trying to use reverse psychology on them wimin-folk. My wife always seem to know when I'm trying that, which reverses the reverse, making it.....I dunno - I get all confused and usually end up just doing whatever she says.

My 4 year old son, Boy #1, loves to be barefoot, and he loves to run. I've caught him doing barefoot laps around the house and when I ask him what he's doing, he answers, "running!" I love it! Boy #2, who is 2 1/2, is usually okay barefoot outside but is at that stage where he doesn't like to be wet or dirty. Boy#1 went through that too. It will pass.

Girl #1 was just born last Wednesday, so she's barefoot all the time. :)

My wife is barefoot all the time in the house, but doesn't like to go BF outside. She's starting to come around, though - I've almost got her talked into running in Vibrams when she starts up again after the C-section is all healed up.

My mom is barefoot all the time at home, but would be mortified if I suggested going barefoot in public. She thinks my running barefoot is stupid and dangerous. Everybody else wears shoes from the minute they get up until they go to bed. Ew Ew Ew.

What bugs me is when my MIL or mother makes the kids put on shoes before going outside.

SP, how about letting her

SP, how about letting her overhear how much you love it when she rides her bike while you are out on your runs or perhaps posting to a fellow MN friend on FB about how much you enjoy that time with her ;) We'll get her out there just yet, is she coming in Aug? My dh is up in the air, though it's my birthday so it sounds like he's got big plans for me for the rest of that day..we shall see. It'd be great to meet your family, sadly, my kiddos will be at my ils for the weekend if dh comes. Perhaps the next after next meetup (not sure they'd care much about McDougall's visit) :p Too bad they don't have much for kids races around, or do they?

Saypay, have you tried

Saypay, have you tried "accidently" letting her overhear you talk about how much you love to go running for Alone Time? ;) Reverse psychology for the win!

saypay45 wrote:Now, to figure

saypay45 said:
Now, to figure out how to make it her idea :)

Get her pregnant again. ;-)

Congrats again, Joe.  That's

Congrats again, Joe. That's sweet that you support your wife that way. I hope she picks up minimalist running after she's recovered.

TJ, you are the devil!  We're

TJ, you are the devil! We're not ready!!!! Okay...actually...I'm not ready!!! :)

Zumba, she will be at the race on the 7th, so you'll get to meet her and my daughter. Also, my next door neighbor from when I was a kid is running the 5K race as well (she's my barefoot convert in the works). One of us should remember a camera so we can get pictures of our first BRS meet-up!

Amy knows how much I like it when she bikes with me because I tell her so. But when we go we have to take the baby in the joggins stroller or burley and also take the two dogs so they don't need a seperate walk. Sometimes the logisitcs are a little overwhelming.

I figure that I just need to let her do things on her own. Something will come along that will motivate her to exercise. It was the same way for her with her work, and now she loves her job.

Just throwing this out

Just throwing this out there...ever since I've been predominately barefoot, I have yet to get sick.

So I survived flu and allergy (this usually kicks my butt every spring) season and did not come down with any colds or other baddies in a tad over a year now.