Whispering Pines 50K

Discussion in 'Ultra Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Chaserwilliams, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Chaserwilliams

Chaserwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Texas - Austin

Signed up for my first race in... Geez, 2 years?

I've been slacking for too long now. Lol.

Whispering Pines 50K in Tyler Texas. From the pictures and race reports I've been pouring over for the past few weeks I think the course will be similar to Rocky Racoon on the technical side, but a little more hilly.

Ive never ran a 50K before, although I've ran a 50 mile and I just ran 30 miles for my 30th birthday back in December (Yes, both barefoot) but a 32 mile trail run sounds like a really good challenge (it will be barefoot too).

Unfortunately I tweaked my knee last week. Im actually in the waiting room at the Dr office right now waiting to be seen. Hopefully I'll only be out for a week or 2 before I can resume my training...

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. OneBiteAtATime

OneBiteAtATime
    Expand Collapse
    1. Illinois
    2. Missouri

Yeah, man. Good luck and heal up! I'd love to come down there and take on RR one year.

3. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :barefoot:

4. Chaserwilliams

Chaserwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Texas - Austin

I plan on it TJ!

The Dr was actually pro BF running!!!! I was blown away!!!

He thinks i just have a little bruising / inflammation on my LCL and that after a week or 2 I should be back to running again.

I live just south of Huntsville now. I can get to the park in about 20~30 minutes. In fact, the trails in the park are part of the Lone Star Hiking Trail, which starts about 15~20 minutes north west of me. It's a total of 138 miles of trails just waiting for this dumbass to start exploring!!!

I ran RR50 back in 2012. It's an amazing race held by some amazing people! It was my first and only ultra to date!

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

6. Chaserwilliams

Chaserwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Texas - Austin

Ok, race is in 5 days, and it looks like its going to rain every single day untill the day after the race... Luckily I dont have to worry about my shoes getting wet!

DNEchris likes this.
  7. ElyDave

ElyDave
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

good to see you're still around Chaser. Keep running

8. Chaserwilliams

Chaserwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Texas - Dallas
    2. Texas - Austin

Whats up Dave!

Im just getting back into things after about 2 years off. How have you been?

Race report coming soon. Quick re-cap, the knee I tweaked a few weeks ago came back to haunt me around mile 7. That combined with a really rough trail caused me to DNF at mile 20.

Really sucks, everything else felt great! No fatigue, no lack of energy, muscles felt ready for a 3rd loop and a good finish, no GI issues. Nothing. Just that my left knee was killing me with every step and I didnt want to push thru it and do some real damage. I feel that I could have pushed thru a 3rd lap as far as my feet go, although some good shoes would have been really really nice... lol.

9. ElyDave

ElyDave
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

That's a b!tch Chaser, had the same thing happen to me in 2013 on a 70-miler, tweaked a knee on lap 2 (10mile laps) completed lap three and got about 500 yards into lap 4. No way I could have put in another 40 miles on that leg.

Still I PBd on the same course last year at 40 miles with an achilles that was no more than 50% OK.

Last year was a fairly good year for me apart from the achilles, gained PBs/Course Bests at 10km, a 23 mile fell race (came in 25th), 40 miler - came in 13th with a dodcgy achilles, equalled PB at HM. While doing that raised over £1000 for charity.

This year not run so much yet, or at least not with a goal, only one race booked so far, River Ayr Way in September, 44 miles following the course of a river from source to sea. Next year the plan is a Bob Graham Round - go look that one up!